Parallel PIR Switches

Can a manual switch be wired in parallel with a PIR switch to operate a 240v lamp or would this configuration damage/destroy the PIR switch?

Reply to
Jayjay

wrote | Can a manual switch be wired in parallel with a PIR switch to | operate a 240v lamp or would this configuration damage/destroy | the PIR switch?

If the PIR clicks when it triggers, it uses a relay and should be safe to do this.

Also many outside lamps with inbuilt PIR, which replace an ordinary lamp ie on the switched live and neutral, no permanent live, have a setting where flicking the switch in a pattern sets them on to override.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Should be OK for most PIRs, which use a relay as the final switching element. But they're *not* designed to be overridden in this way, and you might knacker a cost-reduced PIR switch if you try this. Most PIR switches have some sort of built-in override anyway - most often a 'flick off, flick on'[1] sequence on the normal switch (wired in series with the PIR) will put it in 'on till dawn' mode.

HTH - Stefek

[1] Course, if you're really keen, you can probably find one in Makro which responds to tapping out the words of the Taiwanese national anthem in Morse code on the controlling switch at 7wpm or above by playing Jingle Bells while flashing the controlled light in delicate counterpoint...
Reply to
stefek.zaba

SNIP Thanks - this is a useful tip. My particular PIR does 'click', I have put a manual switch in parallel and the system is working fine.

Reply to
Jayjay

I found your first paragraph to be of most practical application but I will practice your second suggestion in case things become desperate :-)

Thanks

Reply to
Jayjay

Stefek Zaba wrote | [1] Course, if you're really keen, you can probably find one in | Makro which responds to tapping out the words of the Taiwanese | national anthem in Morse code on the controlling switch at 7wpm | or above by playing Jingle Bells while flashing the controlled | light in delicate counterpoint...

That is *exactly* what I'm looking for as a wedding present. URL please.

Owain

Reply to
Owain