Paper shredder-recomendation

Any recommendations for purchase of a paper shredder and which to avoid Blair

Reply to
Blair

"Blair" wrote in news:dtjtc0$e6t$1 @news7.svr.pol.co.uk:

MoD requirements are that the shredder "cross-cuts" - that is it shreds lengthways and then cuts the strips crossways, making tiny little squares of paper. Perfect for the paranoid!

I have a cheap one from B&Q which cuts into strips, taking a max of 5 sheets of 80 gsm paper. This is more than adequate for normal everyday shredding of utility bills etc. Very few "identity thieves" are going to try and reform a shredded document to use illegally.

George

Reply to
George

Get a kitten.

Reply to
Sponix

In article , Blair writes

I use a Dahle and am very happy with it, v well made, chunky & good power. It happens to be a cross cutter but you pay your money and takes your choice. Got it from Viking, voracious junk mailers but they do have good prices on shredders (when I last looked).

Reply to
fred

Got a Tescos value (Blue stripe?) cross-cut shredder here. Used almost daily for the past 6 months for junk mail, etc. Probably not up to "office" use, but OK for home for us.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Get a cross cut shredder, you can get them cheap now. Regardless of the extra security, because stuff is cut into small squares the bin doesn't fill up as quickly as the straight cut shredders. So even a small cross cut shredder will need less emptying than a larger straight cut.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

£15 crosscut shredder from staples.
Reply to
.

The parliamentary committee advising on identity theft was sponsored by ...

... a manufacturer of paper shredders!

You're all too paranoid.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

even less so if you simply cut the personally identifying information out of the letter / A4 sheet, shred that and bin the rest.

Reply to
.

Is that a leccy one?

Reply to
Grumps

of course it is !

Reply to
.

Also a lot less bulk.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

For something worthwhile in terms of security, a crosscut is necessary.

The strip ones are worthless.

I once had a secretary who shredded a refundable airline ticket after it hadn't been used. She was able to recover the strips reasonably easily and stick them onto paper and send to the travel agent. As it happens, one can get a refund with some painful procedure anyway, but I felt that the glue therapy would aid memory for the future.

Apart from that, it really depends on the volume that you need to shred. The small £20-30 ones are OK for the odd piece of junk mail.

I tend to get a fair amount of paperwork from various sources, including business, which have confidential material and do need to be shredded - perhaps a few hundred sheets a week. I bought a Fellowes shredder from Staples for about £70 or so with removable bin etc. This works really well.

You can use a light duty one as long as you don't over burden it by putting too much through at a time or run for too long. The motors are not continuously rated. Most have a thermal cutout. It's also important to regularly oil the cutters.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Definately avoid Blair that goes without saying! Tally Ho

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Yes.

I bought Spouse a hand cranked one from Betterwear or the like for about £4. He loves it, spends ages playing with it but I've no idea what he shreds. I can't be bothered with it even though most 'sensitive' mail is addressed to me.

The shredder's contents, thin strips of paper, are emptied into the compost bin. No power use, no land fill. Easy.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Small bin,some matches....pufff! gone in seconds.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Put a dog turd in bin with sensitive documents, who's going to rak through that? (VIZ top tip

-- dtechy

Reply to
dtechy

I know, I do do that sometimes but other times I can't be arsed. With some of these credit card applications you get in the post they have your details pre-filled all over the place.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Many thanks to all who replied. Really good advice given. But definitely avoid Andrew in future Blair

Reply to
Blair

What details are there already filled in on such a credit card application that someone can't find out from publicly available information anyway?

Reply to
usenet