Panic buying (no, not fuel)

LOL no, it's 1 (shilling) and fourpence.

Reply to
brass monkey

It's not 'fish and chips is fourpence', you daft sod.

Reply to
grimly4

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

And a pint is 1 and 3, but you posh buggers obviously go in the lounge bar so it's 1 n 4

Reply to
hugh

But remember you can also use the non-price-marked stamps for sending larger items; so if you need to send a parcel (for which the post office usually remains the default carrier for most people most of the time - at least for smaller items) there's nothing to stop you slapping a dozen

2nd class stamps on or whatever.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Also Superdrug I believe

David

Reply to
Lobster

Collect+ is now my choice for quite a few parcels. Often cheaper and certainly more convenient - I can take the parcel in a 9 p.m.!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Hmm, never come across that before - I see that my nearest 'outlet' is a corner shop closer to my home than the PO: I'll certainly be looking into that - thanks!

David

Reply to
Lobster

I used it to send back a damaged eBay item recently. Royal Mail wanted about 14 quid to send the parcel 'tracked'. Collect+ charged £5.99 and took a couple of days longer.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Oops. Must clean screen!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

No, it doesn't. They've removed the link between insurance and the default first class charge.

It's now capped at the fixed value of £46.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Tuppence h'penny

Reply to
hugh

I think you are getting your calendar mixed up a bit. On PAYE you pay tax after you have received the income. On self assessment you pay up front on your estimated income not taxed at source

- and if you underestimate you end up paying interest.

Reply to
hugh