Panic buying (no, not fuel)

Stamps. Yes, stamps. People are buying them by the wheelbarrow load.

1st, 2nd, 1st large and 2nd large. POL stores have already run out of 1st large.

The cynic in me suggests that all will run out soon, and then not be available until the prices rise ...

Reply to
News

Notice how they don't put the price on a stamp anymore? Just 1st or

2nd. So we don't realise just how much they are.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Just tell the women in your life to stop sending all these bloody cards and we won't need Royal Mail at all.

Reply to
stuart noble

Hence the rush to buy now!

My modest snail mail output is possibly still using stamps purchased before the last hike.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You've been able to get NVI's (Non-Value Indicators) for years, damn handy when a price rise is due. I normally buy 60 1st Letter from CostCo, last lot where 43p each, 3p below face value. May well be making trip to CostCo RSN...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not so you can do as I did today and buy 100 2nd class stamps that will still be valid after the price goes up? (Not so much panic buying as just bringing a normal c 6 monthly purchase forward by a few weeks).

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

You mean backwards. Forwards in time is in the future :-P

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Today, my local, very small, Post office still had a stack of 100 x 2nd class stamp packs that was about 4 inches thick.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Oh blimey it's 'im again.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ah, so you're a payments-avoider!

Reply to
Tim Streater

Just think about it - what I said is logical.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Is it possible to pay taxes in advance, thus avoiding the inevitable rises?

Reply to
Moonraker

Electronic Xmas cards this year where possible Small voluntary associations and those without the internet will be hit quite hard.

Reply to
hugh

If o are on self assessment you pay in advance already - just to avoid the interest and the fines.

Reply to
hugh

That's a bugbear of mine relating to the Irish PO - when I buy a stamp for a letter journey - that's what I'm buying; one letter journey. Now, if the prices go up and I've still got some older stamps in my pocket/wallet/drawer I feel aggrieved that I have to now pay extra for those letter journeys that I've already paid for and the PO has had my money for. I now see why the Irish PO don't make stamps that are un-priced on the face, unlike RM which has had "1st" on the stamps for years.

Reply to
grimly4

Makes my purchase on 9th March rather modest. Even then I was surprised that there were no stock problems. Maybe I shall have to return.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Hot pasties have been selling like hot cakes.

Reply to
Martin

That's tax avoidance, that is. Makes you a baby eater.

Reply to
Huge

The employed have some scope as well. If they are doing overtime that may bump 'em up to the higher rate of tax. Just delay putting in a few time sheets so that extra money arrives in the next rather than current tax year.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Costco sell them a bit cheaper...

Reply to