Pandora too wide

Are there any other thermal stores worth looking at?

I've been down to their offices. They're working on a square section heatbank, though it won't be in production until next year.

It's a pretty good thing, just too big for my space.

Reply to
Ian

How much space do you have?

They do various widths as well as heights.

The standard Pandora comes in 530mm, which I would guess is based on a 450mm cylinder. However, they make other widths to order (480mm, 580mm and 680mm versions).

However, you say you've looked around the factory, so that obviously isn't good enough.

You'll be hard pressed to get any useful cylinder much thinner than 480mm.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Elsom make square thermal stores. 150 litre DHW only thermal store with immersion backup, giving mains pressure hot water,

also:
to products.

The Elson Coral ST thermal store. All Elson "Coral" products are square thermal stores that can be easily packaged in high positions or under worktops. They have about 3 variations. They may be able to make one to your specific size, call them.

Reply to
IMM

I think you might have to really DIY - see if you can get a custom-made cylinder to your specification, then add on the heat exchanger, mixing valve, flow switch etc.

Regards

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

Also, having been to the DPS factory and seen the type of operation, I could certainly imagine them knocking up a special order, perhaps based on a

1600x300 indirect BS cylinder, for example. Indeed, Telford do a whole range in "Medium Duty" that might result in suitable sizes. (These are all nominal sizes and will expand due to insulation). 300 (1050 - 1800 high) 350 (900 - 1200 high) 375 (900 - 1200 high)

The biggest 300 and 375 wide models are around the 115 litre range, which will drive a bath.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You absolute god. The Coral Si is perfect, though they may even be able to do better, because for a small cost.

Reply to
Ian

I do believe you made IMM blush. That's the first nice thing anyone's said!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If there is enough head space, the fresh water coils can be removed and de-scaled, although have a de-scalar on the system as a matter of course anyhow on "any" system.

Reply to
IMM

Thanks again for that.

An heating engineer has told me that I need access to a sewer for a condensing system boiler. Is this the case, and if so, why?

Reply to
Ian

On 4 Mar 2004 05:15:08 -0800, in uk.d-i-y snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Ian) strung together this:

I think 'sewer' is a bit excessive. A normal internal drain is required for the condensate outlet. I've robbed this from the greenstar book but they all work the same. A 22mm plastic discharge pipe should discharge into the household drainage system and have an internal termination. If this is not practical, a discharge into an outside gully or soak away is acceptable. The condensate discharge pipe should have a fall of 21/2° (44mm per meter length). It is not necessary to provide air breaks or traps in the discharge pipe. The appliance includes an integral 75mm trap and siphon. An externally installed condensate drain pipe should ideally be insulated to prevent it from freezing. Alternatively, a large diameter pipe can be used and insulated. The condensate drain pipe should be checked during servicing and any debris found removed.

Reply to
Lurch

A condensing boiler produces water from heat extracted from the latent heat of the exhaust products of combustion. That is why they are so much more efficient than regular boilers. This requires a drain nearby from the 3/4 plastic pipe to be run, or emptying into an outside gutter, gully or whatever. If a drain is available then get a simple condensing boiler to operate with a thermal store.

If there is no drain facility nearby then get a good regular system boiler. These work well with thermal stores, operating at higher efficiencies than directly onto rads.

Elson also do an "integrated" square thermal store that supplies the CH and DHW from the thermal store. I think it is the Coral ST. I would be tempted to go for one of these and get a "simple" condensing boiler, without load compensating controls, or regular boiler. Simpler boilers are also cheaper buy than high specced load compensated modulating boilers.

Thermal stores vastly reduce, or eliminate, inefficient boiler short cycling. The boiler cuts in to fully heat the store in one long efficient burn and then cuts out when up to temperature. No inefficient short cycling. Eliminating short cycling is easier on the boiler controls and promotes longevity.

Reply to
IMM