Panasonic TV, no sound problem

A kind soul gave me a flat screen CRT Panasonic TV.

The picture is good, but there is no sound, only "noise".

If I plug a PS2 into the TV, I hear everything in the games loud and clear as normal.

Also there is no Scart socket for a digi box, but I have an adaptor which enabled me too use the red/white/yellow cable from the digi box to the TV. Still no sound on the channels.

Any hope ?

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

Sounds like a tuner fault. If there is noise, chances are the speaker and audio amp are ok.

Right - so the audio side is ok.

Are you sure that adaptor is wired correctly for that task? SCART sockets have stereo in and out, and composite video in and out too. As well as RGB etc. The most usual type would be to feed a games machine into a SCART socket - rather than the output from a SCART to a games input on a TV, IMHO. And although both have the same plugs, the wiring within the SCART is different. Maplin used to sell ones which could be switched to either input or output.

If you can solder and want to have a go at altering your adaptor, I can post the pin out of a SCART here.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just to add, have you a local FreeCycle group? The one here is awash with decent CRT sets. I've tried to give away a 21" Panasonic and stand - NICAM sound and two SCARTs plus a front games socket - in as new condition in every way. Even has the handbook. All I've had so far is no shows.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 15:09:06 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

I did think that the adaptor might not suit the task. No soldering kit and my arc welding skills might be a bit over kill :-)

When you say a tuner fault .. do you mean the channels are not tuned in correctly or do you mean physical component is not working ?

We do have a FreeCycle locally.

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

If you're not in a rush, post it to me and I'll alter it for free. (Assuming the SCART plug can be opened up - most can) Although you might find exactly what you need in Maplin or EBay, etc.

Fooked, basically.

Most want slimline sets and chuck away perfectly good CRT ones. My excuse is the one I changed was in the kitchen, and an LCD one releases more worktop space.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 16:45:51 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

Thank you for the offer of sorting a scart. I think the TV is best be sent on it's way now and I will seek another .. Hopefuly with a scart socket :-)

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

Is it definitely a UK model?

Reply to
Geo

Good one... IIRC Panasonic use K after the model number to denote a UK model (or is that Sony)?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 20:05:13 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

Ah well ..the gentleman who gave it to me was from over the pond, but had been resident here for over 2 years whilst "on duty". I imagined it must be ok as he had been using it here. He also chucked in a VCR which has a two pin power cable on it. I will look for model Number ...

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

Ah. So likely the wrong model for the UK. Some can be altered to work - a Google on that model might give something. But the ex owner may already have tried.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

who wants a complete surroiund sound system all geared up to 110v and NTSC and wrong region on the DVD player?

:-(

Free to a good home ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Massive stash of US DVDs?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

We seem to be lucky in that most UK TVs have long since 'locked' to an NTSC tape played in a suitable machine - or DVD. The reverse doesn't seem to be the case with PAL in the US.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If he was living on the base it may well have been used on a closed system providing US programming. US Bases are little bits of America transported to where ever they are...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 21:45:33 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

For future reference ..... I went back to the menus and found Sound Sys. set at 5.5 ... not a clue what that meant, but I selected next choice.. 6.0. Hey presto ... voice activated. Thanks to all.

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

5.5mhz sound subcarrier offset - thats NTSC. PAL here uses 6MHz.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

For a while .. got a dig-it-al set top box as yet?..

Reply to
tony sayer

3 so far, and a USB dongle..
Reply to