Panasonic TV fault today

Had a call from the parents saying their Panasonic Viera TV has developed a fault. After about 10 minutes, it flips to saying "No service", which is what would normally happen if you pull out the aerial. However, another digital TV shows the aerial signal is fine. Once it's gone "No service", it stays there until you change channel, and you can then change back immediately and the original channel is working again. It's 3 years into a

5 year guarantee, so I wasn't too worried.

This evening, I've just turned on my TV, which is an identical model, same age, but different area of the country and transmitter. Exactly the same fault.

Could it be that Panasonic have downloaded some buggy new firmware to their TV's?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

or the Beeb have been undoing some of the tweaks they put in place for the limpics, IIRC they usually do the changes on a Wednesday, tried a re-tune?

Reply to
Andy Burns

This is a DIY group. I suggest you take a chain saw to the TV set. But of course be sure to disconnect it from the mains before you start. Safety first!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Interesting that, with no updates whatsoever, my goodmans box keeps saying, no signal, please check aerial. I did a factory reset a complete retune and at present all seems to be OK. I'm thinking something weird in a transmission did summut odd, but I'd have thought that Panasonic and goodmans would have had different software. could be just a coincidence or crap on the mains? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No angle grinder?

Reply to
Davey

Have you tried a reset to defaults and a new scan?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sounds a bit like DAB radio except they just go sullen and silent when crashed by an incoming unplayable noisy datastream.

More likely that they have reacted badly to various Olympics channels vanishing or by coincidence you both have dodgy aerial leads.

I'll try mine tonight on terrestrial DTV to see if it has any problems.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

If it's any use, I have the same problem on my Panasonic 26" Freeview TV receiving signals from Sandy Heath. It's only on BBC channels, and it was not corrected by a re-tune yesterday. If I switch to the input from my Panasonic DVD recorder, the signal seems OK and consistent. It's not the aerial connection then, as proved by other TVs around the house continuing to work on the BBC channels off the same downlead but through different STBs.

Reply to
Norman Wells

We are on the Heathfield transmitter and both of our TV's a Panasonic and a Toshiba have been intermittently having that problem for the past three days. Our signal comes back after a few moments. Each time it has been on BBC1. Last night around 9.20 I switched to BBC1 HD and it did not happen again. Derek

Reply to
Derek F

OK, looks like this is a widespread problem, but possibly only with a few Panasonic models. Reset/retune makes no difference. The consensus seems to be it's more likely to be a change the BBC did yesterday than it is to be a buggy firmware update. I emailed BBC transmitter engineering...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You're not alone

Post 11 onwards

's either something the Beeb have done, that Pannys don't like, or (more likely) something non compliant in the Panny's existing firmware.

If it's the latter, it will have to be put right by Panasonic, via an over the air update. The downside is they are normally carried on the BBC Mux, which might provide a difficulty if you can't receive it !

Do the affected sets have an Ethernet and/or USB port ?

Reply to
Mark Carver

Mine doesn't (slightly too old for that I think). It has an SD card slot, and I did see a reference on the internet somewhere (about a different problem) that some can be updated by using this.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Casting my mind back a few months a normal reset/retune wouldn't solve a particular problem with certain Freeview Boxes. They kept asking you to do a retune after five minutes. The solution was to remove the aerial, do a retune cycle with no signal, plug the aerial back in and try again. All I know is that this worked on mine - it may have been a Grundig (crap) or a Goodmans (no problems so far) box. I probably read about it on Usenet or a Web Forum as it doesn't appear in the "manual".

michael adams

michael adams

Mine does have ethernet and built in freesat tuner which it is normally using. I put it on DTV terrestrial for the news and it seems fine apart from grumbling that new channels have been found do I want to retune.

It might be helpful to know the model numbers and ages of failing ones.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

TX-L26X10B, 3 years old.

This is not an HD set, but someone else mentioned their HD set is impacted, so that would be at least one other model impacted.

TX-23LXD50, probably 5-6 years old, not impacted.

These all have integral freeview tuners.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

Don't expect Panasonic UK service to be enthusiastic in resolving it either!

I am still waiting to receive the card with the software update that would resolve acknowledged problems with Panasonic firmware following Phase 1 of the Rowridge Transmitter switchover back in March. Fortunately, the problem disappeared on Phase 2 of the switchover a few weeks later, but that just shows there is something fundamentally unstable and non-compliant with the Panny firmware, not that the problem has gone away.

I haven't had any issues with the changes to the PSB mux for the Limpets, or the return to normal afterwards (I didn't do a retune to get the extra Limpet streams just in case), but I sure wouldn't want to be the proverbial "elephant hanging over a cliff with my tail tied to a daisy" waiting on a Panasonic UK rescue!

Why can't Panasonic just contract engineers with proven ability to write compliant firmware? Most other vendors seem to manage OK.

Reply to
R. Kennedy McEwen

That is a surprise since I think my unaffected HD one is about the same age TX-L37G10B. (but I don't think it was ever used on terrestrial DTV over the Olympics since satellite had many more HD channels).

If memory serves G/X/? signify freesat/network addon features.

I have access to a TX-26LXD60 and a TX-?30L??? will check at the weekend. Although I'd have expected to have been rung up by now if there was anything funny going on with BBC1 !

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Got a reply today saying they believe the technical fault has been resolved. Doesn't say anything about what the fault was.

I haven't seen the problem since others here also reported it had gone.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Curiously non of the sets I have access to were affected.

Odd that the Beeb should victimise Panasonic kit like that!

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Spoke too soon, fault is back again tonight, possibly worse than before. Goes to "No service" after probably only 5 minutes, whereas before it was nearer 10-15 minutes. Noticed it on BBC News, BBC1, and BBC2. This is first time I've watched TV since Saturday, so not sure when the fault reappeared.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel