Panasonic microwave question

I have a Panasonic NN-A850 Combination Microwave. Recently the buld has gone and I cannot see any way to change ity, short of dismantling the whole machine. Anyone got any ideas on this?

Regards

Pat Macguire

Reply to
Syke

Some machines have a little door to provide access to the lamp. These are designed such that the user could change the lamp if he wishes.

On others, the only access is through taking the cover off and these are not intended to be changed by users. Be aware than lethal voltages may exist inside even if the machine is off and unplugged.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Indeed - I researched this when my Panasonic's bulb "went" (it got better, so just a bad contact probably).

If the OP cares to google, there are FAQ's on microwave oven repair - watch out for the capacitor and everything connected to it - it gets charged to many kilovolts and will hold it for some time after the oven is switched off - "some time" being highly variable and generally longer than you might expect. The charge it holds will kill a man.

The bulbs are hard to source - though I did find one supplier on the web.

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Don't know that machine, but generally speaking they can be a bugger to get at. When ours went I suggested to SWMBO that all we needed to buy was a torch. Strangely my suggestion was treated with scorn & she bought a new microwave.

I thought it was a perfectly sound solution myself.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Unplug the unit remove the screws from all three sides of the cover lip, slide back the cover an inch and lift it off. You will see the lamp to the left of the cooking cavity looking from the back. the lamp is a 25W 240V like the one on the left here:-

model doesn't have a large capacitor of death, nerveless do not touch the inverter PCB or Magnetron. (large square box with two red wires attached)

Reply to
Graham

Over the long term its easier to replace the fitting and use candle bulbs. Any time you need a bulb, it comes with the weekly shopping. No need to run around looking for them or pay OTT postage on already overpriced bulbs. No prizes for guessing why new machines dont use SES bulbs.

NB this works with combination oven/microwave cookers too. Bulb sellers will freak out about the fact the bulb will run above its rated temp, but a reduction from 1000hrs to 700 is not an issues imho, and you dont get conctact melts on the lower power bulbs ovens use. The one condition is there needs to be a glass cover between bulb and food cooking cavity, as non oven rated bulbs dont have hardened glass, and can not be trusted to survive food splashes.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Over the long term its easier to replace the fitting and use candle bulbs. Any time you need a bulb, it comes with the weekly shopping. No need to run around looking for them or pay OTT postage on already overpriced bulbs. No prizes for guessing why new machines dont use SES bulbs.

NB this works with combination oven/microwave cookers too. Bulb sellers will freak out about the fact the bulb will run above its rated temp, but a reduction from 1000hrs to 700 is not an issues imho, and you dont get conctact melts on the lower power bulbs ovens use. The one condition is there needs to be a glass cover between bulb and food cooking cavity, as non oven rated bulbs dont have hardened glass, and can not be trusted to survive food splashes.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The message from "Syke" contains these words:

Dismantle the whole machine.

Reply to
Guy King

Changed the lamp on my sisters 10 yr old panasonic recently, quite easy to get at once the cover is removed.

These look like the right ones for yours:

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Thanks, everybody for taking the time. Still a bit scared though...?

Regards

Pat Macguire

Reply to
Syke

No it's OK.

Just make sure that your will is current before starting.

Reply to
Andy Hall

replying to Syke, rfilkoff1 wrote: My panasonic microwave says child and has stopped working

Reply to
rfilkoff1

PLEASE start new threads rather than replying to ten year old ones!

In answer to your question, first hit on googling "Panasonic microwave child lock" brings up this.

"You are now ready to use your new Panasonic Microwave Oven. When you first turn on your microwave oven and under normal operation the ?CHILD LOCK? feature is off. If ?LOCK? or ?CHILD? appears on your display . . . Press the ?Stop? button three (3) times and the ?CHILD LOCK? will be turned off."

When you've tried that, please read this by Joh Rumm.

If you have been using the HomeOwnersHub web site, you may have wondered why a number of posters seem rather confused by some of the messages you have been posting. Hopefully this post will make clear why this is happening. HomeOwnersHub (HOH) is one of a number of web sites that provide a gateway to one or more USENET newsgroups. In this particular case it connects to the USENET group "uk.d-i-y"

For details about this group, please read:

For some background and links about usenet groups and how they are normally used, please see:

Like good comedy, Timing is everything ======================================= Usenet groups are generally "ephemeral". Once a post has been sent to a news server, it will be shared around the world with other news servers. Depending on how busy the group is, and the storage space allocated by the server to the group, each server may only store messages for a few weeks or months before expiring them.

So when replying to a post, please take careful note of the date on which it was posted. There is little point in making a response to a post concerning a problem with someone's central heating, if the problem occurred in 2006 - One, they have probably fixed it by now, and two, most readers of your message won't be able to see what you are replying to - so it will make little sense!

(Although many news servers won't retain posts to a group for an extended period, once a post has been made and distributed to other servers, you have to assume that its never going to go away completely - there will always be a copy somewhere! You can't delete a message once posted. There are also archives of past usenet postings, google for example have groups.google.com that makes many years worth of posts to this group searchable).

Quoting ======= News reader software usually makes it easy to include in your message parts of the post you are replying to. This is called "quoting". Careful use of quoting - e.g. leaving in just enough of the original message in place, will help readers follow the thread of the conversation. Note that some users (especially sight impaired ones) will depend quite heavily on this quoted content to make sense of postings. If you don't include sensibly trimmed quoted content you will irritate many users who won't know what you are replying to. (and including too much, will irritate others!)

Reply to
Tim+