Panasonic Combi microwave stopped working

This is an old workhorse that I've had for about 10 years. It's been repaired twice in the last 2 or 3 years and now it has packed up again. This time the fault presents as:

Any microwave programme stops after 2 to 3 seconds. The turntable no longer rotates in any programme.

I'm thinking paying for a 3rd repair would be to throw good money after bad, especially as the price of the current model is fairly good (e.g. £160 from

of interest, do the symptoms strike anyone as familiar? Is there any point of me having a poke around inside? (And I have read the thread on capacitor discharging in microwaves with great interest!)

Dougie

Reply to
Dougie Nisbet

Do you hear the cooling fan start up? If not, I guess the supply to the cooling fan and the turntable motor has failed, and a thermal cutout on the magnatron trips.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

2-3 seconds is about the time it takes for the magnetron to heat up & start drawing anode power. Too quick for a thermal cutout to trip.

Either there are 2 faults or its the controller, either way I'd agree with your analysis and get a new one. Its not a straightforward repair this time. If you've got space then you've got some spares for the new beast.

NT

Reply to
meow2222