Pan connectors - damn you B&Q!

I'm in the process of changing a toilet. The toilet I am removing is connected to the soil stack via a 90 degree elbow pan connector. The outlet of the pan I am installing (bought from B&Q) is about 4 inches further towards the wall, meaning the 90 degree pan connector (Robomatic -B&Q) will miss the entry to the soil stack. I've tried a flexible pan connector(Robomatic B&Q) and it would work but would not be exactly hidden as it would have to balloon out to the side. The only other option I can think of is shortening the soil stack - which a) may be difficult as it runs under a partition wall and under the floor of another room and b) not exactly appealing to me as I'm none too keen on poo!

Does anyone know of another way around this, like a 90 degree connector with a shorther knuckle? Can I bend the 90 connector in any way? Failing that how much a plumber would charge for messing with the soil stack?

Cheers! Matt

Reply to
Nearly Done!

The obvious answer is to move the pan forwards...but I realise that you don't want to do this :-)

I shall be interested in the replies, becuase I may have the same problem soon...

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

Not really since this would mean moving the cistern forward with it!!

Reply to
Nearly Done!

Are you fitting a close coupled cistern and pan,as a replacement for a flush pipe with cistern type.If so you should be able to offset the pipe with a side entry flexible connector suggest you go to your local plumbing or builders merchants and get a osma above ground catologue.the sheds are very limited on drainage and waste.

Reply to
Alex

You could try the local plumbers/builders merchant as they'll have a lot more choice of fittings than B&Q.

Or you could take a look at the price list/catalogue here and see if there's anything that looks like it might do the job:

HTH

Reply to
mike

Hi Matt,

In the McAlpine catalogue (downloadable at:

on Catalogue then download the pdf)

there is a VERY tightly-bent one on page "36" (or 37 according to Acrobat Reader). It appears to "double back" on itself slightly so would allow the WC to go that little bit closer to the wall than normal. Might be worth a look.

My local plumber's merchant has always been able to get hold of any more obscure stuff from the McAlpine catalogue (eventually!).

Regards,

Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud

Cheers, Woodspoiler! I think that'll do the trick.

Thanks for all your help you lot - I'll let you know how I get on.

Reply to
Nearly Done!

Or this. PArt #12712 £4.30 + v

Toby

I had to do this, the cistern is now on 30mm thick battens. When I finish the rest of the room I'll put a piece over the top and paint it to match the walls, and all will be well.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Clearly not a proper D-I-Yer then :o) . First you used the term "finish the rest of the room". You should know that "finish" is an ideal, not an achievable goal.

I did move my pan and cistern forward and use battens. I did tile over the top of the gap at the back. I never got round to "finishing" the ends off under the tiles. I also had to raise the new pan an inch (I used marine ply cut to the shape of the pan foot).

Reply to
Bob Mannix

message news:...

They have these in B&Q don't they? I got mine from Wickes though....

Reply to
adder

message news:...

Come on, Adder. That would be far too convenient for the customer for them to supply the part needed to fit one of their products. They do have offsets in B&Q but you shouldn't have to buy two parts when one could accomplish the job. Never checked Wickes though.

As an aside this loo was part of a cloakroom set. The taps that came with the basin had 10mm pipework, with no reducer to connect to the

15mm - had to buy them extra - marvellous. They're either sly or stupid - can't make my mind up which.

Anyway, I've tried the McAlpine one, it cost me £11.50 from a local plumbers merchant. it didn't work as the bend/knuckle was further forward than the entry for the pan spigot. Instead of being too far back it was too far forward. Scratching my head as to why they've done that. Taken it back this morning and just ordered one of the swan necks from the BES website. Fingers crossed.

I really do pity any poor sod that took their old toilet out without measuring up when fitting one of these.....

Reply to
Nearly Done!