painting wood, skirting, etc

how important is it to sand between coats of paint? i ask as without sanding between coats, the paint coverage isnt very good, it just seems to sit on the surface and its hard to put on a thick coat. i'm using water-based paint which might be part of the cause. i got this paint as i dont really like having to clean brushes in white spirit and not being able to wipe up spills easily.

Reply to
benpost

benpost,

1 Sanding between coats gives a 'key' for the next coat to 'grip' along with removing any lumps - therefore it's an important procedure.

2 You shouldn't put on a single 'thick' coat of paint. Thick coats cause runs and are difficult to finish evenly (along with several other problems) - several thin coats are far better. My procedure (on new work and using thin coats) is a coat of primer, two of undercoat and two of gloss (all rubbed down between coats)

3 Water based paint isn't the problem, it's your method of work causing the trouble.

4 Try using less paint on the brush and the 'spills' will all but disappear - and you'll get a far superior finish on your work.

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

thanks tanner , it sure is a long winded procedure , i only have the one tin of paint because all the wood was already painted and i have just sanded once then hoovered/wiped and started with the paint. as you said i should sand between coats then wipe up the dust before the next coat. you really do have to be organised and plan your tasks when decorating dont you? its no good half finishing jobs coz then you end up forgetting where you were and getting totally confused and frustrated!

Reply to
benpost

benpost,

'tis true that its a "long winded procedure" but using that method, I get minimal drips and runs to clean up and sort out - and I know that I really don't need to repaint anything for at least 5 years.

By the way, I really do hate painting, that's why I use that method so that I have to do it as little as possible!

As a matter of interest, the *only* time I use a water-based paint is as a primer/undercoat on *internal* works (with a spirit-based gloss finish) - I

*never* use the stuff externally.

If you get 'confused' about the coats etc, just simply use a slightly different colour for each coat (apart from the top coat).

I won't comment on the "one tin of paint" (says me shuddering). :-)

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

Alas doinga job preoperly often is, but it normally shows in the finished job.

With our first house my wife was rather frustrated at the time it was taking me to repair the walls in the living room and get them ready for decorating after rewiring. But when I had done and it was papered it looked good. We then went to a partty at a friends house where they had just stripped the walls and papered, and all the little nicks from the scraper were visible through the new paper.

It is not just decorating. many DIY tasks benefit from planning! Having everything available sure makes a difference!

Paul.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

In an ideal world....

Reply to
stuart noble

well thanks for the posts, really informative, if i am going to do the job properly then i will need:

water based undercoat, oil based topcoat, white spirit

dont need primer as the skirting etc has been painted before, and a couple of new bits i have are already white, which i assume is primer or undercoat?

the cheap option is just use the water based paint i have lots left and sand between coats and hope for the best

i now wish i delayed the carpet til i'd completely finished the skirting as thats another problem now trying to avoid getting paint on the carpet

Reply to
benpost

well i'm determined to get a reasonable finish on my skirting.. masked off the carpet and tore up a magazine stuck pages under the tape all the way round the room. sanded drips and the big imperfections with rubber block and 60 grit paper, then sanded the whole lot with a 60 sanding sponge. vacuumed along the masking tape then wiped the skirting with a damp cloth. done a first coat, applying a bit more liberally than i usually do, i think often i brush too much and don't let much paint settle. its definitely taking more paint , due to sanding.

also, a big difference is the way i've been holding the brush. i am now applying strokes like a pen, with the brush turned sideways instead of flat (if you understand me?). it seems to leave no brush marks, which the old way did. also seems to apply better.

well any comments are welcomed. i'm letting it dry til about 7/8 then sanding with 180 grit sponge, wiping and painting the final coat later.

Reply to
benpost

Very. Otherwise the next layer falls off, as SWMBO has discovered.

Reply to
Huge

im pretty sure turning the brush so im holding it like a pen has made a huge difference... before i was painting flat side down and just didnt seem to be applying it well

Reply to
benpost

Surely this is only a problem if the previous coat was done 5 years ago (or even 5 months ago). If it was done this morning as the OP is suggesting then there should be no problem with adhesion. I would still give it a quick rub just to remove any dust particles though.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Probably not, no.