painting wood and metal

i am thinking of repainting pipes, radiator, skirting and arcetrays.

however, i hate oil based gloss paint.

can i use a water based paint instead? its so much nicer being able to wash the paint off with warm water instead of horrible smelly white spirit!!!!

the other option with the pipes is cover them over i've just seen in screwfix a plastic cover which covers 2 pipes and isnt too expensive. or boxing them in with wood.

thanks

Reply to
benpost

Dulux paint brush cleaner and renovator. Haven't bought it for a while as I still have a 2.5 litre can, but it was available in most good decorators suppliers when I last needed some.

Dump brush in it for a while then wash the paint off with water and a drop of washing up liquid - miracle stuff.

Or regard brushes as disposable

Water based gloss is nowhere near as good as solvent based

Reply to
Norman Billingham

I have recently refurbished a cloakroom with tongue and groove panelling (I love secret nailing!) and painted the woodwork, radiator and pipes with Fired Earth Eggshell. This is a water based semi-gloss paint that has a very durable satin finish. It is normally quite expensive but I managed to get some at a very reduced price from Homebase in more or less the colour we wanted. Old-fashioned eggshell was solvent based and very durable; this seems to be a good alternative.

Previously I tried New England water based "gloss" from B&Q for woodwork and a radiator. It wasn't a success. It is far from durable and marks very easily. Wiping off the marks also took off a lot of paint. Not recommended but B&Q don't seem to stock it any more, so perhaps other people also had problems with it.

Reply to
Bruce

well i've gone and bought (before reading your replies), some dulux wood and metal, quick drying paint, which is water based. they had gloss or satin and i go the satin. i'm doing the sanding tonight and will paint tomorrow so i'll let you know what its like!

Reply to
benpost

Sounds good. It will be fine.

Reply to