Painting window frames

'I' need to paint some already painted outside wood window frames.

I'm not *too* bothered about the finish but I want the paint to stay on, what do I need to do by way of preparation with minimum effort?

Ta.

Reply to
R D S

There's no substitute for lazyness...however if you must...

Wipe down with a turpentine damp rag,wait for it to dry off for 5 minutes? then either gloss straight over or apply a matt base coat first and then gloss.

/Shudderrrrrs! at the thought doing it this way.

Reply to
George

Now that's what i'm talking about!

Seriously, I have neither the time nor the inclination to paint them, however my sister has volunteered. If it is going to be done I would rather it be done properly but I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth. What would be your preferred way of doing it? Sanding? Blowlamp?

Reply to
R D S

Hah! yes blow lamp,have you ever watched a piece of glass crack when its heated up and cooled down too fast?

If the window frames are worth the effort? Nitromors and course wire wool. ;-)

Reply to
George

In message , R D S writes

What is the current state of the paint? If it is sound, with maybe just the odd bit of flaking then a good rub down with abrasive paper, followed by undercoat and topcoat.

If the paint is very poor with a lot of flaking then I'd strip it using a hot air gun (a cheap one is ok). you still need to rub down afterwards though. Then use a primer before undercoat and top coat.

I've been happy with the Dulux Weathershield Gloss system.

Reply to
chris French

4mm glass pieces are good for stripping old paint, but they need to be cleanly cut.
Reply to
stuart noble

Despite assiduous preparation, I found this to be no better than el cheapo gloss slapped on over the existing coat.

I bought uPVC windows, instead.

Reply to
Huge