Painting UPVC

We (SWMBO and me) are shortly moving into a house which has brown UPVC windows, which would look much better with white ones. While in the long term we will probably replace them with new wooden windows, we were wondering if it was possible to successfully paint UPVC.

Does anyone have direct experience of doing this? I would have thought that with modern primers it would be possible

Boris

Reply to
Boris

I've painted uPVC drainpipe. You paint with top coat gloss directly and no undercoat, according to the instructions on the gloss paint I was using at the time.

I dripped some black gloss onto white uPVC windowsill, and although I wiped it off instantly, the black stains into the surface of the uPVC, so I suspect the solvent in the paint actually dissolves into the surface of the uPVC, probably forming a very good bond.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

My experience of painting a blue water pipe is that its a disaster, 50 quid on various paints, none worked. I have no idea if the plastice is anything like PVC. My pipe runs down a cliff, it looks bad, you can see it from miles away.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Blue mains water pipe isn't PVC.

PVC, as Andrew says, takes oil paint beautifully. It will last longer than wood properly painted at the same time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Thanks for the information (to all who replied). I think I'll try an experiment but it looks promising.

Boris

Reply to
Boris

MDPE, or any sort of polythene is a bugger to paint or glue. Nothing really wants to know. Probably the only way is to find some sort of stuff that will slip over, that can be painted, or is an acceptible colour. What colour do you want it?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I was after white

Reply to
Boris

Just re-read that, and the bit in brackets wasn't meant as a dig at anyone who didn't reply, by the way!

Boris

Reply to
Boris