painting staircase spindles.expert painters advice please!

i have just finished rubbing down/sanding my staircase spindles. they are victorian and quite ornate. I want to now paint them white. What is the best way of achieving an even finish as i know from previous experience that the paint tends to run and drip on the grooves. how many coats do i need and what paint would be recommended?

Reply to
all_mark

An undercoat of your choice followed by a liquid solvent based topcoat gives the best looking finish IMO, but the latter is prone to runs. Be organised, apply sparingly, keep an eye out for drips. Use as much undercoat as you need to totally obscure the wood and give a uniform colour, then as thin a coat as you can for the topcoat.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Agreed on maximum undercoat and minimum smelly type gloss. Last undercoat with 600 wet n dry if you want a polished finish. Tack rag between rubbing down. For drips I have an inspection lamp on a flexible lead handy. Varying the direction of the light helps spot any drips and sags before they dry.

Also useful for filling and sanding plaster if you're going to emulsion it without papering.

Reply to
howkers