Painting Skirting whilst Fitted Carpet in place?

What is the best way of masking off fitted carpet to allow painting the skirting?

I have Hall, Stairs and landing to paint and I do not want to call the carpet fitters in.

I was going to try strips of Poly Sheet nearly up to the edge and then hold it down with Gaffer Tape on the carpet edge butted up to the skirting.

Will it work and any better ideas?

Reply to
Bookworm

Use masking tape and push it down between the carpet and skirting. leave it for at least 24 hrs after painting or you might pull the paint off the skirting.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Get a few 2 litre drinks bottles, cut them into strips. Push the strip down between carpet and skirt, then push it under the skirting. This holds the carpet well away.

If youre using oil based gloss, be aware that the paint still sticks to things after its dried. 3 days ensures no sticking.

If its not a small room it'd be quicker to pull the carpet up, as long as its not stretched its easy to put back. If it is a stretched type, I'd leave it be.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In my experience: remove the carpet. Yes, you'll tell me that removal is not contemplated. In that case, the best of british on your endeavours to avoid painting the carpet. In my experience, removal is the only sure way of doing a good job. But that could be my incompetence in painting.

Let us know how you got on. I learned to remove the carpet but I learned the hard way.

HTH

Mungo

Reply to
Mungo

Use a strip of parcel tape or wide masking tape on the carpet as close to the skirting as you can and then stick some newspaper to that with yet more masking tape or parcel tape.

You can strip it off as soon as you like. In fact the sooner the better. It's when the paint is half dry that its skin an be pulled off with the tape if any runse longe that masking tape is left on the job, the more difficult it can be to remove.

This is most noticeable on metal surfaces though and only a real problem if it got damp.

Wash, sand and wipe the skirting, then hoover the guard before painting. If you are prone to clumsiness that might easily endanger the carpet, roll it back off fthe grips one wall at a time. But as there is seldom a need to clart paint all over the skirting, there should be very little time spent on the job.

Just load the brush, wipe the excess off on the pot and get stuck in. It's dragging the job out with a mind off picking daisies that causes problems on any job.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

If you can get your hands on a piece of light metal about a yard long by 6 inches to a foot wide you will fly through the job. just slip it under the skirting as you go.

Reply to
noelogara

Nearly. You need to be careful of capillary action and wipe the blade each time you move it. You can get a plastic paper hanger's tool that will do the job splendidly. I have no idea what they are called but I'm sure someone on here will come along with an educated guess.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

If you go down the masking tape route be sure that you do not get it wet whilst it is on, because getting it off after is a nightmare!

Reply to
Broadback

Bookworm explained :

I use what ever I can find to act as a movable mask - a sheet of semi-rigid plastic or thin springy metal sheet with a straight edge about 15" long by 6" to 9" wide. Sand the paint, vacuum up thoroughly down the carpet edge, then push the strip hard down into the gap and press/bend it almost flat. Paint the skirting, but don't paint too close to the left and right edges of the strip as paint will creep around the back of the strip onto the carpet.

You can ease the strip up and move is a bit at a time as you progress.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

the other option is not to paint down as far as the strip. When the carpet goes back it will cover anthing below the top of the pile. Bit quicker that way.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Go round with a scraper and push the edge of the carpet well down. Use a new 1/2" brush at an angle of about 30 degs and the bristles will go behind the carpet edge without touching it. Any form of guard or mask is more likely to make a mess IME

Reply to
Stuart Noble

the trouble with that is the carpet pile may then attach itself to the paint while it dries.Depends on the carpet really.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Have a look in the sheds, they do a purpose made pack of thin plastic shields specifically for this purpose. They are nothing more than half a dozen, 2 foot strips that slide between the skirting and carpet (pretty similar to the drinks bottle idea) but they work well and just need a wipe after you've doen each section. I bought mine a few years back and they only cost a couple of quid

HTH

Jim

Reply to
Jim