painting shield

Long time ago my father had a sheet metal (probably aluminium), straight edge that was curved to hold in one had. The idea was when painting window edges and skirting boards it would mask the surrounding area. The problem was that paint built up on the edge and marked what you were trying to mask.

Is a modern equivalent made in plastic which is designed to reject paint?

AJH

Reply to
AJH

That would be a "George"

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

It's called a George and I think I had a plastic one a while back, though I don't think you could flex it enough to shed paint that had set - I think the best course is to wipe paint off it before it sets.

Reply to
John Stumbles

OK George it is! I wasn't meaning to remove set paint, I was thinking of something that didn't attract paint, so the paint didn't flow on to it.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

T'was a 'George' IIRC & paint stuck to it like sh*t to a blanket. There are plastic ones in B&Q which are better, really easy to wipe clean.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

To paint window edges... Just paint onto the glass,not to much though and let the paint dry for about

48 hours. Next get a new stanley knife blade and run the blade down (score)between the frame and the glass and then scrape off the paint on the glass with sharp flat of the blade.
Reply to
George

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

I never got on with the metal ones either.

Call me ghey, but not being a painting genius, I spend a couple of hours masking up the room, or at least the more fiddly bits. B&Q clean peel blue tape seems to be the best I've come across.

I reckon I save the two hours in faster painting and less cleanup, and I get a brilliantly neat cut in too.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

yes, still comes of cleanly and easily after nearly two years!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Or use a window scraper, which leaves you with a 2mm overlap on to the glass

Reply to
stuart noble

Andy Burns coughed up some electrons that declared:

And not to be confused with "low tack" which falls off just as you touch it with a paint brush.

And if it doesn't, the paint bleeds underneath giving the spider's hairy knees effect.

:)

Reply to
Tim S