Painting pine

We have some honey pine bedroom furniture that we want to paint.

I remember seeing a paint effect on tv many months ago where someone painted the furniture lilac or blue followed by a coat of white and then lightly sanded. This gave an attractive soft antique look. Ideal for a bedroom.

Any idea what this is called or do you have any tips on how to do it or what paint to use.

Many thanks.

Reply to
Bilbo Baggins

First of all are you sure you want to ruin the stuff you have?

If there is a layer of varnish you must remove it or work around it with pva or something.

Get hold of some timber with a similar finish to that which you want to destroy. Treat that with acrylic paints in the manner specified. Try oils next if the acrylic does not turn out fine. Since brushwork is not as thick or exact a cover as spray, use two coats on the under layer.

Do not use acrylic paints on top of oil based ones.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Sure, thats called antiquing... heres some instruction and pictures.. its quite simple.. hope you come up with some great designs..

beezer

How can you ruin pine by covering it up?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

also called a distressed finish. I think its called distressed because thats how people feel about it when they realise just _how bad_ it looks.

If you dont like honey stained pine, and I dont either, sand the pine so you get a raw pine finish and varnish it. It gradually colours, but not like the crappy stains, natural pine is far nicer.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

See if your library has Paint Magic by Jocasta Innes. Trendy tat but quite good on the techniques

Reply to
stuart noble