Painting part of ceiling that's never been painted before

I removed a floor to ceiling cupboard in the hall and as such the ceiling has never been painted where the cupboard stood. The cupboard must have been there since the house will built in the 50's.

Since the rest of the ceiling has 50 years worth of paint on it, what is the best way of bring the level of the unpainted bit to the rest of the ceiling?

I have sanded the edges where the paint stops but still obviously have a very visible ridge of paint.

Do I just have to apply several coats to the unpainted area to build it up?

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Take more than several. ;-) put up some thick grade lining paper to bring it level, then slap some paint in the join.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I'd apply a few coats of cheap emulsion mixed with polyfilla to the bare area, allow to dry then sand.

You'll need a new batch of emulsion/polyfilla for each coat as it'll set quite quickly.

Failing that there was a special thick paint for covering up artex..I wonder if that'd do the job?

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

in article 43e776df$0$3640$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net, Steven Campbell at snipped-for-privacy@pTHREEasa.co.uk wrote on 6/2/06 16:18:

I would smooth off the ridge with a small 'ramp' of fine-grade filler.

I am planning to do the same tonight, but on a papered ceiling.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Micklem

Flat the ridge of paint by heating and scraping off, peeling it off, or rubbing down with abrasive paper on a flat block of wood. Then use filler applied with a filling knife to the bare plaster to feather it in. Rub down and paint.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Assuming a he takes the sanding route, working on a pair of steps maybe these things would be easier & do a good job.

Ob- disclaimer. I am not Andy. ;-)

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Alternatively, slap on some watered-down PVA, allow to go tacky, the lightly skim with some finishing plaster. Fine sand the edges i required and give a couple of coats of emulsio

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Pity I couldn't view your link "You are not authorized to view this page" Sounds intriguing.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

If possible it's better to chip away the thick paint at the edge rather than trying to sand it - no matter how well you think you've sanded it there will probably be a visible line when the paint is on.

I'd skim it with filler or finishing plaster - building it up with paint will take forever. If you skim it make sure to moisten the bare plaster first or it will suck all the water from the mix and make it unworkable.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Rob Morley

Now, I get that as well :-((

Mein Gott !

What's gone wrong with it. I checked it twice?

They've got to be Plankers. :-((

However Rob's link

Tnx Rob.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Not sure I like the idea of these - the "as seen on QVC blah" bit is *not* a good recommendation either!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I know, I've got a set I bought from Makro in a pack unopened.

However perched teetering on a step ladder it is only one item to keep control of. As opposed to a sanding block and loose sheet of sandaper.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Just to update in case anyone is googling: I removed the ridge of paint with a heat gun and feathered the remaining paint that was left. I then painted the area of bare ceiling a few times. I then just painted around the edge where the old paint (50 years worth) met the bit that was unpainted. Left it to dry for half an hour and rubbed it down with some sand paper. I must have done this about 7 or 8 times now. Occasionally painting the full square where the cupboard was. The join has now virtually disappeared.

Thanks again for all the suggestions (especially the heat gun one)

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell