Painting over varnish

I'd like to paint over wood originally varnished with oil based yacht varnish, which is still in good condition. Using oil based paint. Any problems or tips?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Give the varnish a good sanding to get the "shine" off it and provide a "key" for the paint.

You should be ok to paint over it then (unless someone would like to correct me).

Reply to
Dark Angel

and use an oil based undercoat to improve coverage of the topcoat. In the far past, I have used matt emulsion as an undercoat, but it has a tendency to peel if knocked.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol