painting over varnish?

Hi all I have an old child's wooden toy that I'd like to do up. It is currently varnished and I'd like to paint it. Would it be best to strip it down totally (nitromors etc.), or is a good sanding followed by primer etc. likely to be OK?

The varnish is not one of those shiny 'flooded over the surface' type layers, more of a thin satin layer, if that makes sense.

Thanks for advice.

Cheers J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

I've used a product called ESP (Easy Surface Prep) which is a breeze. Ideally, you give the surface a light sanding to get rid of nibs and a bit of a key. Then follow the instructions:

had our banisters and handrail replaced, and I did the strings with ESP and they look boss.

Edward

Reply to
Edward

It is currently

Light sanding + paint. If you haven't sanded down to bare wood, you don't need the primer.

Reply to
Martin Bonner