painting over shiny ceramic bathroom tiles?

Hi, please can someone advise as to what kind of paint is needed to paint over shiny ceramic bathroom tiles. I'd like a surface that is as wipable and shiny as the existing one.

I have seen a paint advertised for this with the warning that you shouldn't use an abrasive cloth on it, which seems to defeat the purpose.

Thanks in advance!

Harry

Reply to
Harry Davis

Don't...... Just don't

It looks crap. Feels crap Ends up looking worse than a scab on a badgers arse and worst of all you're bolloxed when you want to change the colour.

Reply to
Nthkentman

+1
Reply to
stuart noble

"Nthkentman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

Hi and thanks for this.

I haven't come to considering colour yet. Your view that painting bathroom tiles gives a crap result seems to be shared by a lot of people!

This would be for a pre-sale bathroom do-up. The existing tiles from the

1930s are unchipped, and nice and even, but disgusting in colour.

Is anyone willing to say that painting them would be OK, or is there a complete consensus that it would be crap?

:-)

Harry

Reply to
Harry Davis

As anything painted with emulsion is now classed as shabby chic, maybe even tile paint is acceptable. Are you sure 30s tiles aren't trendy?

Reply to
stuart noble

NO

or is there a

YES

Reply to
djc

It's often possible to tile over old tiles.

Especially if they go all the way to the ceiling do you don't have a top edge to contend with.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Owain wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p5g2000vbl.googlegroups.com:

Thanks for this.

The room is only half-tiled, and the edge pieces are the one feature I like. They are black, and the main tiles are the revolting colour of very dirty underwear - my idea was to whiten the main tiles somehow.

OK, so it's coming across loud and clear that everyone here thinks painting tiles is crap.

Does the same apply to the stick-on 'tiles', e.g. 'Stick 'N' Go'?

:-)

Harry

Reply to
Harry Davis

I think they're even more crap than painting.

Don't forget the vases of twigs and tea-lights.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Owain wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c19g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

I'm not familiar with what they signify. Are you saying stick-on tiles look cheap, look twee, do the job poorly, or some combination?

Harry

Reply to
Harry Davis

Judging by photos on rightmove, vases of twigs are the 'in thing' for 'instant decor' for houses for sale.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

There is that, though I don't think 1930's is the current "in" period.

Clean 'em if a bit grubby but don't spend much time or money on them. If the new owners like 'em they'll keep 'em if the don't they'll end up in the skip with the rest of bathroom when the it is refurbished.

+1 to both
Reply to
Dave Liquorice