painting over embossed wallpaper

My hall, stairs and landing walls are papered with a lightly embossed wallpaper, flowers & a few shiny bits, excellent quality & papering, but not quite suited to a bachelor pad!

As a short term fix, i'd like to paint over it, something neutral, but I suspect the texture will show through, are there any modern paints that will give me a fighting chance of covering it up? I don't really want it to be like adrian mole's wallpaper!

I know ultimately, It wants stripping back, lining & then painting. But even if I can paint it and i'm left with a bit of texture / flower outlines, it has to be better than all the pink & purple flowers.

advice appreciated

Ta DD

Reply to
dirt dibbler

When we moved in here in 1964 the sitting room had a textured paper. We painted it. The texture showed through but was interesting. Since then it's been painted many times, the texture is still evident but not unpleasant, in fact in some ways it's better than flat walls.

I don't understand about Adrian Mole's wallpaper ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

13 year old Noddy wallpaper semi-obliterated with black paint.
Reply to
Andy Burns

Oh. But the OP's wallpaper wasn't right for that to start with ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Sheesh!

Reply to
George

?
Reply to
dirt dibbler

finished off with black felt pens to try to cover the bells on his hat, if i remember correctly!

Reply to
dirt dibbler

When Sue Townsend replaces Shakespeare for the English Literature exams you will understand.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I heard broadcasts of some of Adrian Mole when the first book was published, then the second ... but they weren't memorable - especially wallpaper details.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher