Painting over a silk finish

Is there any reason why I cannot paint a ceiling that has a silk finish, with a vinyla matt finish ? Someone suggested a coat of pva was needed first.

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

Don't use PVA.

Just wash and over-paint. I have done this on both old and new vinyl silk and never had any issue with doing so.

Reply to
Rod

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 19:06:03 +0000, Rod gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

Thanks ... just as I thought .... but someone planted a seed of doubt which made me ask :-)

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

I'd also add to use Sugar Soap with hot water to wash the surface with. Also, once you have washed it down, use fresh water and rags to clean off any residue. You can buy it ready mixed but I buy it in the powdered variety and mix as needed. About =A34 for a 1.5kg box from B&Q. The Sugar Soap wipes are also pretty handy to have when painting.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Starling