Painting OSB - undercoat necessary?

I've put up some new OSB for ceilings, Can I just paint it with a couple of coats of emulsion? It's new, and wont be rubbed. OK doors need primer and undercoat because people rub against them, but can I just slap emulsion onto the OSB ceiling? Will it last 20 years, or start flaking off?

[george]
Reply to
george - dicegeorge

On Saturday 12 January 2013 19:34 george - dicegeorge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Probbaly - it's not very absorbant.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes .. the glue used to make it up will prevent it being sucked in too fast.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Have a read of this:

polygonum

I think I would avoid the use of any water-based paints if I could.

I recently made some exterior barn doors out of OSB3 (one of the more water-resistant grades of OSB). I painted them with an oil-based stain, which seems to have worked OK. OTOH, in a couple of places a bit of rain got on the boards before I could paint them, and some fibres on the surface swelled up and detached themselves.

Reply to
WetClay

me i should have left small gaps at the edges for shrinking and expanding, might widen the gaps with my bosch pmf!

[george]
Reply to
george - dicegeorge

Why osb? Must have missed something