Painting Oil Impregnated Doors

Sorry if this arrives on the group more than once but my ISP newsgroup account does not seem to be working so I am attempting to access via Google Groups.

Anyway, wonder if someone could advise me on the best method of tackling the problem?

My son of 16 years old has decided that his wardrobe doors do not fit in with his bedroom colour scheme and wants to paint them along with the cabinet. We have no objections to that -anything for an easy life when dealing with a teenager- but because the doors and cabinet appear to be veneered and at some time in the past have been treated with what I can only assume to be a type of teak oil. Can he just paint on a primer of some sort or wash them down with a solvent after light sanding etc ?

Gio

Reply to
Gio

You'll probably be okay with aluminium wood primer, which is intended for oily wood, but it won't hurt to scrub down with wire wool and white spirit before painting.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Use a primer that contains linseed oil.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Thanks Rob and Chris for the replies. I will be nipping out in a few minutes up to either Wicks or B+Q to see what they have in the way of the two types of primer you suggest. Between writing the message and getting a reply I tried lightly sanding an area on the rear of one of the doors and wiping the dust off with a cloth containing white spirit. I painted the prepped area with a vinyl silk emulsion but found that the paint formed a rubberised skin in contact with the wood but after 4 hours had not really dried and simply wiping a finger across the surface, just lifted the paint in sheet form. I just scraped the rest of the paint off with a scraper. I will let you know the latest once I get a proper primer.

Gio

Reply to
Gio

Gio wrote: I will be nipping out in a few

According to the instructions on my tin of teak oil, you must strip back to bare timber, using white spirit and fine wire wool, sanding along the grain, even if you only wish to reapply oil. I suggest that this would apply with even greater force if you want to paint the timber.

Having spent the greater part of 2 weeks painting, repainting, stripping, stain blocking and repainting a wall in my living room (6 times) I've come to the conclusion that it's better not to improvise, but to follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Tony.

Reply to
tonybo

Doesn't "teak oil" osidise to provide a protective film like linseed oil does?

Dulux Trade undercoat contains linseed oil, AFAIR.

Reply to
Chris Bacon