Painting new plaster - product confusion!

I've just had the walls of my lounge reskimmed, and the new plasterboard ceiling (constructed by me) skimmed. I intend to paint them. The plasterers recommended that the first coat should be diluted, and that any cheap neutral coloured emulsion would do the job.

Accordingly, I went to Wickes with the intention of buying a big bucket of trade brilliant white matt emulsion. However, I then spotted a product claiming to be specifically for painting new plaster, and containing a "mix of polymers". Needless to say, it is significantly more expensive - £18 for

10L against £11 for 10L of the standard emulsion.

Of course, once I'd spotted a miracle product, doubts set in and I left the store with nothing. I'm not really bothered about the extra cost. But does this product really do a better job than the approach recommended by my plasterers?

Reply to
Pyriform

================================== A quick 'google' suggests that emulsion paint is a 'mix of polymers' so you can't really go wrong whichever product you choose.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Well, quite. Maybe they are "special" polymers... I forget the exact wording on the tub.

Anyhow, this is the product:

seems to emphasis "breathability" as a feature, to allow the plaster to continue to dry. But I thought my plaster was already dry (or will be, by the time I start to paint it). And it becomes irrelevant once I decide on the actual colour I want for the finish (it won't be brilliant white or magnolia) and slap that non-breathable paint on top! So I think I'm talking myself out of this special paint, unless someone can come up with a really good reason to use it...

Reply to
Pyriform

I think your observations are sound :-)

FWIW and IME Crown has never given me any bother on new plaster, straight from the tin. OTOH the last lot of Dulux I used was a pain because it was simply too thick. Also worth pointing out that a thinned down thick paint is not the same as a properly formulated thin paint.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

There are always products doing the same job but more expensively. They're designed to part the customer from their money. Ignore them.

BTW I prefer the water coat option to a piss coat. Its much quicker,

meow2222

another option! Still, at least the product will be the same - now I just have to work out where to put the water...

Reply to
Pyriform