painting metal railings

Over the years I have used Hammerite to paint the railing around our balcony but it seems to last just 3 or 4 years. Does anyone know of a metal paint that is more durable than Hammerite? Thank you

Reply to
Stewart

Steel boats use a two-part epoxy coating. No idea how easy it would be to apply to railings though.

Reply to
Nightjar

In message , "Nightjar "@?.?.invalid> writes

I've said before that I've used Jotun 2 part epoxy paint on all sorts of things, including the insides of steel vases and often on parts of trailers, so I think railings would be fine if they were reasonably clean to start with.

I think colours were only grey and white. The industrial suppliers who supply that paint were a complete disaster with working the colour matching machine for the top non-epoxy coat.

I mix in a throwaway kitchen measuring jug. The last cheap ones came from Wilkinsons, who were cheaper than Poundland at the time.

Reply to
Bill

Bill, part of my problem is that there are whorls where the thinner iron members meet the horizontals so there is somewhat limited room and virtually none at all at the junction. I expect to be painting both on metal that has been wire brushed and on clean (rubbed down) old paint. My colour has always been black. Thanks both.

In message , "Nightjar "@?.?.invalid> writes

I've said before that I've used Jotun 2 part epoxy paint on all sorts of things, including the insides of steel vases and often on parts of trailers, so I think railings would be fine if they were reasonably clean to start with.

I think colours were only grey and white. The industrial suppliers who supply that paint were a complete disaster with working the colour matching machine for the top non-epoxy coat.

I mix in a throwaway kitchen measuring jug. The last cheap ones came from Wilkinsons, who were cheaper than Poundland at the time.

Reply to
Stewart

In message , Stewart writes

The Jotun paint that I have used was from the Penguard ranges, and once mixed, it is just like any other paint to apply. It dries in a few hours, but takes several days to cure. I buy it from a local engineer's suppliers in 4 + 1 litre containers and the price is competitive with "normal" paint. Main agents seem to be from the yachting market and may price appropriately :-( The Jotun websites have masses of pdf information about surface preparation and what you can paint over, but I just slop it on.

I have no connection except as a user. My history with this paint is that 30years ago I bought epoxy paint for the boat (epoxy coated ply) I was building. That paint was made in Liverpool. It was sold as paint for operating theatres, food preparation surfaces and general use. I was told the "primer" was fine as the final surface coating. Amongst other things, I painted the bilges with it and it is still going strong there. When I tried to buy more, the manufacturer had disappeared, but the wife volunteered at the local hospital and became friendly with someone whose husband had worked as a chemist at the firm in Liverpool. It was he who told me that the company and technology had been bought by Jotun.

Reply to
Bill

I think from what I used to do, the trick is to make sure they are clean in all the nooks and crannies and neutralise any corrosion before you paint it with anything.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thanks all, will start the job after this spell of poor weather has passed.