painting metal gutters

While the scaffold's up i'd better paint the gutters. I've removed them.

Hammerite black is expensive, but could go on in one coat (or 2?)

Dulux weathershield is going on the woodwork, will this last as long as hammerite on the gutters?

advice please.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

I used a marine epoxy paint system on gutters I put up nearly 30 years ago. When I passed by the house recently, they still looked good.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

hammerite pinholes badly, I'd forget that one

NT

Reply to
NT

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 00:20:50 +0000, "george [dicegeorge]" hurriedly dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

I would use the Dulux metalshield and underecoat. Not exactly the weather if you are in UK ?

Mike 2

Reply to
Mike2

george [dicegeorge] wibbled on Thursday 25 February 2010 00:20

Cast iron, aluminium or pressed steel? (or other!)???

Reply to
Tim Watts

cast iron, victorian-ish

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

george [dicegeorge] wibbled on Thursday 25 February 2010 10:36

OK - otherwise I was going to say, don't forget to use the correct primer for ali...

I'm looking with interest at this - I have a load of perfectly good very solid ali gutters to take down, repaint and refit (clips have fallen and joints are leaking everywhere).

I like the sound of the epoxy, though with mine it's only painted for presentational reasons - the ali is 1/8" thick and will probably last forever even without paint.

Reply to
Tim Watts

possible, googling hasnt found me any though, marine chandlers seem to double the price of everything, maybe from a car spares place?

30 year finish seems worth the extra expense. the slates should last a hundred years! [g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

In a marine environment epoxy paint and two-pack polyurethane lasts about 10 years if applied properly. I used a two-pack "Crystal" polyurethane varnish for interior woodwork on a boat and after fifteen years it still looks like new. The exterior has needed a new coat.

Reply to
Steve Firth

thanks for the advice - I went with the advice of the local steel man and got what he calls 'chassis paint': Jotun ConSeal TouchUp

$file/TDS%20-%20Conseal%20Touch-Up%20-%20English%20(uk)%20-%20Issued.19.03.2008.pdf
'll report back when i've used it.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]