Painting metal (a van)

Hi all

I'm acquiring a van shortly (purely for recreational use - camping, biking that sort of thing).

I want to paint the inside white, in order to make it a lot lighter. I was planning on simply using ordinary undercoat and an eggshell type of finish. This will be fine for the three walls (which are ply-lined) but I was wondering if it's also OK for the roof.

Any opinions?

Mildly connected: I'll be investigating getting windows fitted in the sliding doors (it's a Citroen Dispatch), to enhance the light; apparently - I hear - that will also ease the operation of taking the odd load of waste to the local tip).

Cheers John

Reply to
Jonelle

If they are single skinned where you want the window should be quite easy. The trick will be finding the correct glass and seal at a reasonable price. If the only source is a camper van maker they're likely to cost. A mini bus in a breaker's yard might yield some useful bits.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would suspect Gloss would stick to scotchbrited car paint fairly well.

Reply to
Doki

Go back 40 years and van paints were oil based. They gave a much more chip resistant finish than car paints of the time. The long drying time also made it easier to get a good finish with brush application, so they were also used by people restoring old cars.

Fitting side widows behind the driver's seat makes the vehicle a car for VAT purposes, which may affect its resale value.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 09:04:11 +0100, Jonelle had this to say:

Dare I suggest Hammerite?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In my experience Hammerite just isn't flexible enough for car bodywork. It ends up cracking and flaking off.

I would use a brushing cellulose enamel specifically designed for brush painting vehicles. Keep the vehicle well ventilated when using, and take frequent breaks to avoid getting fumed up.

Reply to
Bruce

Dont. get some basic halfords spray primer - white - and use that instead. It should key to what you have.

Cant comment

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ordinary alkyd gloss will suffice, but you should use a coach enamel for this type of job, coach enamels have a longer window for drying times so painting larger arears will keep a wet edge for a longer period, unlike ordinary faster drying gloss paints.

Can't help with the windows though.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

"nightjar .me.uk>"

Would it make a difference to the Dartford toll charges as well?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

for VAT purposes, which may affect its resale value.

Eugh -- never knew - or thought - anything about that, Colin. In what way does it affect the resale value? (I'd would expect it would go *up* not down as you seem to imply).

I must say, that acquiring this van has taken the lid of various nasty-looking issues called "VAT", Trade", "Trade Use", etc etc which I'd never thought about. My first 'real' car was an Escort van in the

70s: it was great, which is what took me back to the idea. But times have changed and I have an awful feeling that I'm on thin ice in some "regulatory areas" that I never knew about. I must stress again that I have no intention whatever of using this van "for profit or trade": it's for recreation!

Cheers John

Reply to
John L

Your insurer will also have to be informed of non-manufacturer approved modifications to the vehicle, and may be unwilling to insure a van (even if it's been turned into a car) on a SDP-only policy

Owain

Reply to
Owain

skylights let in more light and are much more private when parked up in streets and anywhere!

[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

Modern oil based paints can be used, but theyre not overly hard wearing. Non-gloss, eg eggshell, picks up dirt badly.

If you do use household gloss, at least spray it.

Reply to
NT

A van is preesumed to be for business use, even if there is some 'benefical use' which is more to do with PAYE. Business use of a car has to be documented. As the main market for second hand vans are businesses, one that is a car for VAT purposes will be less desirable to the main buyers. At least car tax has gone, so you won't have to pay that if you convert a van these days.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

A van becomes a car for VAT purposes if either of the following applies:

One or more seats are fitted in the rear body Side windows are fitted behind the driver's seat

A minibus will also become a car if seats are removed to below the minimum number.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Thanks Colin, useful information.

Though think the VAT issue will only really affect newer vehicles, past a certain age, business buyers for vans will be limited to smaller non VAT registered concerns.

Minibuses are a whole different world, MOT standards are high to say the least. Have seen an 11 page MOT failure for a minibus.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

And just read your other post, can now see that being a car would have an effect whatever the size of business.

Where do crew cabs fit into the picture?

Thanks Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

"nightjar" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

As soon as a non-vat-reg "entity" buys it, the vat is paid, and it can never be "vat-qualifying" again. Plus, few businesses need vans which have been home-converted into campers...

The point about tolls is a good one - and extends to anywhere that may draw a line between cars and vans, including the local tip. Many refuse to let a "van" in - even where it's clearly not for business purposes - without paying trade waste charges.

As far as the paint goes - it's painted metal. Just like your garage door/ gates/drainpipe etc... Clean it, key it, slap on the Dulux.

Top tip - bare painted metal on the inside of a van makes for a LOT of condensation if you're kipping in it. Leaving a window open is fine, if it's not too cold out - and if you're camped somewhere secure. Bear in mind that a lot of camper vans have been targeted for robberies by scrotes who fill them with gas to knock the occupants out, before breaking in. Minimising the risk by not leaving windows open is wise.

Reply to
Adrian

I've only seen them on pick-ups and the open rear body excludes those from the rules.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Van crew cabs are pretty common from all the major suspects, usually 7 seater with load space behind. See a lot of Network Rails around here, equipped to work out in the wilds, fridge, microwave, full hand wash with hot and cold running water.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby