painting MDF radiator covers - spray them?

You seem to be arguing with yourself... then repeating what Andy said.

Reply to
John Rumm

Much more by convection.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

So which part of "by radiation and more so by convection" do you find so cryptic that you feel the need to add your own interpretation?

Out of curiosity, do you know what the approximate percentage split between heat losses from a rad by radiation and convection are?

Reply to
John Rumm

Er... WHat did I just say, n*****ts...?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Did you want the 5 minute argument or the full half-hour?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Just what does he not understand?

Any radiator cover will slow down convection and radiation.

Went down to our son's, new to him, house last Tuesday and very nearly burnt my hand on a radiator. Am I right in saying that the lower you run the boiler temp, the more efficient the system is?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

do you want te simpoel answer 'everything' or teh exahaustive list..which would be a lifetimes work.

Things I Do Not Understand, By Dr Drivel.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes and no ;-)

If you have a condensing boiler, then its efficiency will improve as the temperature of the return water flowing into it from the heating circuit gets cooler. However on the flip side, the efficiency of the rads (i.e. amount of heat released into the room will go down). So it helps if the rads are oversized for the room (which they probably will be on all but the coldest days if the system was designed in the first place).

With a traditional boiler however, having a low return temp (typically anything less than 70 degrees C) risks it condensing as well - something that will damage a boiler not designed to cope with this.

Reply to
John Rumm

Aha! A benefit for covers at last. I'm amazed with all this health and safety stuff that you can fry eggs on your rads, and that some boilers don't have a temperature control

Am I right in saying that the lower you run

Reply to
Stuart Noble