Painting MDF

I was thinking of painting some MDF boards with emulsion paint. Do they need sealing first? If so what do you recommend.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Penn

Emulsion takes to MDF without a primer IME.

Seal it if using gloss, it's like try to paint a sponge otherwise!

Dave

Reply to
Dave

No, they really do not need it.

Ive gort a fair bit and I can't rell it from plaster. Expet its more smooth.

She claims it looks like MDF,but that's only cos she knows its there. :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I did this recently for a false wall. Use a 50% PVA / 50% Water mix, one coat, then slap the emulsion straight on.

Charlie

The edges need sealing but not the faces. I used some cheap MDF primer I bought from Wilkinsons.

Markus

Reply to
Markus Splenius

I found this, sealed my edges with normal wood primer, then undercoat and gloss. Expect emulsion would be fine on primed edges.

Reply to
Jeremy Goff

Prime first with a non water-based primer. Otherwise you'll raise fibres on the surface. For rough work this might not matter.

You certainly need to seal the edges, or else it absorbs a huge amount of paint.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I always use an oil-based wood primer - it might not be necessary, but it works fine.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Thanks for all your replies. I'm insulating the walls of my garage/workshop and I thought I would cover the insulation with MDF boards. Judging by most of the replies I will just emulsion them.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Penn

Make sure that the bottom edges are sealed if there's any chance that they'll be exposed to damp.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Yepo.I used a water based matt white acrylic primer. after rubbing down, was a fine surface for emulsion.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not as much as you might think. A rub down and a second coat fixes all.

*shrug* thats another way to prime it..
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher