Painting masonry inside Garage

I painted my last garage inside with the cheapest masonry paint from Screwfix or Toolstation, was just in plain pots with their own labels on it.

I am now looking to do the same again but I notice that I can get 9lts of Dulux weathershield masonry paint in Costco for around =A315 so would be as well to get this.........

Thats if its ok to use, I seem to recall someone saying to me that you have to be carefull when painting inside garages as the brick still has to breathe or something along that lines...

Is this true or just a load of tosh.........its just your run of the mill breeze block.

Any ideas, tips or info.

Also does it make much of a difference using stabilising primers or is it best to horse it on.

Reply to
Gogs

Lme paint is =A36 per quarter ton, and seems to last well. Mix bagged lime into putty, let it soak overnight, keeping air off it, and dilute

50/50 for paint. It goes on very thin and bodies up over a day or so.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Masonry paint is fine. The breathing thing is kind of correct & can be important if you've got a concrete structure with metal rods through it (which can be subject to carbonation - do a google on this if you want to know more). The other reason for allowing a surface to "breathe" is to allow moisture vapour out, whilst protecting against rain etc. Masonry paints should do this (e.g.

your situation, I wouldn't worry about it. The chances of getting a continuous, non-breathing film when painting breeze blocks are next to zero! Just think of all those holes!

Stabilizing primers are recommended on powdery surfaces - like plaster or render. A powdery layer between the wall and your paint is not a recipe for good adhesion. So, it all depends on your particular surface.

diypaint

I thought you weren't supposed to use exterior grade paints indoors due to fungicides or some other noxious substances they may or may not emit? (And whether a garage would constitute 'indoors' I'm not sure...)

Personally I've painted the inside of a small single-skin breezeblock building using standard interior emulsion and it worked fine.

david

David

Reply to
Lobster

thats right, and yes its an enclosed space. Some types such as water based would be ok, but some would be too toxic.

Re breathability, asonry paints arent to any significant extent. They pinhole, which is fashionably called 'microporous' but the degree of damp evaporation ability is very low compared ot genuinly breathable paints.

You'll probably be fine with unbreathables, but in some cases they do cause damp build up and resulting problems. The lime paint mentioned above is cheap, easy to apply and fully breathable.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Just remember to wear goggles and gloves - lime paints are not good for skin & eyes.

re: exterior products use inside. Agreed, not generally advisable. However, just check out the health & safety box on most masonry paint vs standard interior emulsion - not too scary is it! Recent regulations have restricted the use of the most nasty additives. Plus the biocides used are designed to stay in the film - if they didn't they wouldn't protect the paint!

Reply to
diypaint

Its the same as cement in terms of skin irritation. Its the lime in cement that does the irritating.

Sure, many are fine, but some are truly dangerous, so not an approach thats wise unless the user properly understands the issue(s)

NT

Reply to
meow2222