painting Gloss With A Roller.Pt2

Having very successfully painted a flush outside door using Johnstone's Gloss with a short haired fleece type roller ( the undercoat having been brushed on) I bought some Harris Mini Foam Rollers for Gloss.

On the storm door I have just painted the undercoat on the mouldings with a brush and did the panels and surrounds with one of the foam rollers and have to say i was very disappointed .It has a sort of orange peel finish,presumably to do with the surface of the foam . I'm not keen to use these with the topcoat if this is going to be repeated .Maybe I should get another short haired fleece roller and use it . Any thoughts.??

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

I'm not sure that gloss and undercoat behave in the same way. Can you not do a testpiece with some gloss paint on the foam roller?

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

I discovered that the best way for me was to use a cheap foam roller for fast application of the paint, and then use a brush for the final laying off. I know it sounds a bit like belt and braces, but it is certainly faster than just using a brush alone, as I have been doing for over 35 years, but achieves the same finish.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

As mentioned before, put the gloss on fast with a roller, then lay off with a brush.

Reply to
Chris Bacon