Painting Front door

The door is in good condition, was new a few years back and so has only had one coat of gloss on top of the undercoat. A few small cracks have appeared. Want to paint it again.

Do I need to undercoat it? If so is it ok to undercoat with a white undercoat and then paint it with black gloss? Or can I directly apply another coat of gloss seing as its in good condition

Any recommendations of paint would be appreciated?

Reply to
yitzak

Rub it down with wet&dry to get a nice smooth finish and use a GOOD paint brush with johnson's exterior gloss paint

Reply to
ben

It depends on the paint. Some paints *claim* to cover in one coat, without an undercoat - but if it's subject to rain and sunshine, I think I'd use a conventional paint which *does* require an undercoat.

Either way, you'll need to sand it to provide a key for the new paint. Your paint tin will tell you what colour undercoat to use - probably grey rather than white for black paint.

If at all possible, take the door off and lay it on a couple of tressles to paint it. You'll get a much better finish - with no runs - when it's horizontal rather than vertical.

Reply to
Set Square

Black paint is more likely, than any other colour, to blister/peel if your door is subjected to prolonged sunshine. Make sure that the wet and dry rubdown covers every mm of the surface to get a good key for the paint to stick. Don't expect the paint to smooth out the small cracks. They will need filling and smoothing.

Reply to
Jim Scott

"Black paint is more likely, than any other colour, to blister/peel if your door is subjected to prolonged sunshine"

What a load of tosh, the reason the painted probably blistered/cracked was because it was cheap paint used or spors of sap in the wood was still evident, or even grease from handling the door was not rubbed down with white spirit before priming.

Reply to
ben

Black paint will get *hotter* than lighter colours in strong sunlight - because it absorbs more solar radiation. Whether that makes it more likely to crack and blister, I don't know - but I would have thought that it was in with a chance!

Reply to
Set Square

In message , ben writes

It certainly isn't. I had some dark blue paint and some light yellow paint of the same make on similar substrates facing SW, the blue paint certainly did fail sooner than the yellow, and Dulux for one recommend not using dark colours on surfaces exposed to lots of sun.

However....

It's quite possible that this is a reason in this case, but that doesn't mean repainting with black is necessarily a good idea.

Reply to
chris French

In message , yitzak writes

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Dulux recommend 2 coats of their undercoat and one of top coat of their weathersshield paint IIRC.

Yes. it's as important as the topoat

If you want, but I'd use a dark undercoat as well.

don't spil the ship for a happorth of 'tar...

I've always been happy With Weathersheild. The trade one is bit better probably, they do claim a longer life.

Reply to
chris French

Thanks

I'll get some wet and dry paper, probably undercoat. Have just found a Leyland paint shop locally - so will see what they have in..

Reply to
yitzak

Put a squirt of washing up liquid in a bucket of water and use the wet&dry and you'll be suprised how easy it is to get a smooth sanded finish. work in a circular movement, then when all the door is done wipe down with a damp cloth. Before priming wipe door down with white spirits and let it dry out naturally. I'd use a roller to apply the primer and paint brush for gloss.

That should do ya for at least 3 years. :-)

Reply to
ben

Consider using a flexible exterior gloss. It will last longer than ordinary gloss.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

What do you mean by "wet and dry" sanding ?

I'm th> yitzak wrote:

Reply to
Ian Cornish

Reply to
Jim Scott

Reply to
Jim Scott

While we are on this subject, what would be the best type of paint system to use on a new hardwood (don't know which wood) door? I would just use a microporous stain like the current door, but SHMBO wants a gloss finish this time. (I think Red was discussed...) At least I managed to persuade her that we really *didn't* want a uPVC door ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee