Painting floorboards: Do I paint between the gaps?

I am going to paint a wooden floor consisting of tongue and groove boards with very regular 3 mm gaps. Does one normally paint down into the gaps or leave them unpainted to provide a visible "line"? I should think it is quite difficult getting paint to the bottom of the gap evenly.