Painting fences

Hi all

So now that I can no longer get creosote what's the best stuff for treating fence panels swimbo wants to keep the golden look

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Creosote substitute, available in 25 litre containers from Wickes.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Golden look? I thought it was bronze meself.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

You CAN get creosote if you are a fencing contractor. Get some business cards made up!

Alternatively, I'm told the following works:

"INGREDIENTS

1 Gallon used engine oil 1 Gallon Diesel (Or heating oil) 4 oz granulated sugar 4lbs coal dust* 1 oz golden syrup*

*Optional METHOD

Mix the engine oil and diesel together in a suitable container. Next add the sugar slowly and continue to mix.

Add the coal dust and continue to stir. Finally pour in the golden syrup and mix well.

The coal dust and golden syrup can be omitted if required, however best results are obtained when these are added. Red diesel can be used if available."

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

I would have thought if he knew enough about creosote to know that it isn't available, he must have had some advice about an alternative?

It wasn't tung oil perchance? Or caustic soda?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Had new fences last year after years of hedges shrubs and leylandi, remembered from some years back that creosote was not available but haven't yet looked for alternatives

Tony

Reply to
TMC

I wasn't getting at you. Someone posted on here about fixing a leaking shed with just about the most expensive varnish you can buy, that some moron on another forum had recommended.

Some dick heads here thought I was a little hard on him.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Oddly when clearing out the workshop I found a half full 5 litre can of creosote that I had no use for. Remembering that it was banned I asked the guy at the local tip how I should dispose of it. He told me to chuck it in the general rubbish skip!

Dave

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Creosote substitute, light brown.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Ah - another Keith Floyd recipe, I think :-)

M.

Reply to
Mark

Sounds more Pink Floyd to me ;)

Reply to
Richard Conway

Is this used engine oil kosher for Passover? The price is almost reasonable.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

My Uncle Don had a farm in North Devon and he always used a similar mix. IIRC it was used engine oil & paraffin. He swore by it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not nice in a garden, though. It stinks forever, never dries, & contaminates things with most unpleasant compounds.

Reply to
Chris Bacon