Painting emulsion on wood ?

In my previous house had white gloss everywhere .... and that meant on new wood .. knotting > primer 2 coats undercoat > top gloss coat

In current place not used gloss anywhere, all skirtings, architraves & doors are stained ash .... now come on one job where I don't want to stain.

Just finished putting finish on Loft access hatch ... opening all nicely lined in Ply, hatch out of ply stiffened with 3 x 1 frame ...

Fixed the architrave around opening today .. and have just given it all a coat of white primer.

The intent was to put a coat of one of the one-coat white paints, but SWMBO just asked a valid Q ... "can't we just use same pain we put on the ceiling?"

Never used semi matt emulsion on wood ... is there any reason why it could not be used ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

No

Reply to
Old Codger

Contact staining. If you are happy with its durability (it will peel with hard rubbing), then you are happy with it. It tends not to wear so well around a living-room door's handle, but this can be countered with a scratch plate. Unless your loft hatch forms part of a thoroughfare go with the emulsion.

Reply to
thirty-six

No loads of people do use it. It will give a soft and very matt surface that will collect dirt with any physical contact and have no durability worth mentioning, but that may be fine in some places.

Reply to
Ericp

When it's dry, perhaps rub some clear furniture wax on to help with the dirt-magnetism. I've seen it used a few times, apparently the wax fills up the pores in the paint, giving fewer places for dirt to stick.

Reply to
David Paste

I had kitchen and bathroom ceilings of T&G wood which had been stained and varnished (polyurethane). They had gone quite dark with age but I gave them a coat of old emulsion (thinned) and then two coats of bathroom type emulsion (a light colour). This was done about four years ago and they're showing no adverse signs so far.

Syke

Reply to
Syke

You were very lucky to get emulsion to work on top of varnish Also Emulsion is normally not recommended for kitchen or bathroom due to steam ... they produce a specific paint for these rooms. ...

Reply to
Rick Hughes