Painting Doors - Tops and Bottoms

I have always thought that the tops and bottoms of doors should not be painted. And this seemed to be confirmed by the fact that almost every door I ever noticed was indeed unpainted top and bottom. (OK, I didn't inspect that many door bottoms - that would be sad.)

But now a new doors warns that it should have the bottom painted before installation - and that the top should also be painted.

Opinions? Is it important?

Reply to
polygonum

Isn't this all about the timber absorbing moisture through the end grain and swelling, if unsealed? Therefore, relevant on external doors but not otherwise?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Makes sense except for a couple of things. First, these are specifically internal doors. Second, my observation of non-painting has included external doors!

Of course the instruction could be "universal" and unimportant re internal doors.

Reply to
polygonum

Important on bathroom and laundry doors.

Reply to
F Murtz

How much of it is a warning and how much a reminder? Painting the bottom after installation tends to be harder :-)

Reply to
Clive George

I used to have a friend who painted his bottom.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

IME paint has a negligible effect on the passage of water vapour in and out of the end grain

Reply to
stuart noble

Grimly Curmudgeon