painting cast iron Fireplace white

Howdy Anyone know is it possible paint a cast iron fireplace surround white ? I'd like to get a matt finish and it will be used it to burn solid fuels. Michael

Reply to
michael b

Possible, but not recommended. Paint forms a film which is likely to blister. I've found wax to be the best finish for cast iron, either boot polish or blacking. Clear wax works well on blasted fireplaces but I'd abandon the white idea if you're going to burn stuff in it.

Reply to
stuart noble

Yes, but if you're actually going to use it it won't stay white for long!

Bill

Reply to
bill

About the only finish that stands real heat is vitreous enamel. It just depends how hot - if the glass melts, then even that is a dead duck.

Probably the next best thing is some form of epoxy paint. But you will need to source it especially I suspect.

Cerllose car paint is the next best thing. Cars get pretty hot in the sun - over 100C surface on some. In some climates. It seems to hold up to that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've seen this done, but never successfully. If you look around car restoration suppliers (Frost ?) you'll find aerosol "exhaust paint" in a range of colours, including white. This is probably the best option you'll find, but it isn't perfect.

White will also turn yellow with heat.

An angle grinder and flap wheels (not disks) to 120 grit will give a reasonable silver, which you can then wax. This is the lightest "survivable" colour you're likely to achieve.

Andy Dingley

Blimey, when I think of the happy(?) hours I've spent over the years trying to remove paint from cast iron fireplaces... next we'll be getting posts asking how to put a flat surface on panelled doors!

David

Reply to
Lobster