Painting Alluminium Box

I have an alluminium box which I wish to paint with Black hammerite paint.

What is the best way to do this, rough it up with emery or glass paper first to take the shine of it or paint directly onto it.

Jim

Reply to
the_constructor

Just scratch all over with wire wool, then paint it immediately (within a couple of minutes). Hammerite is fussy about good drying conditions (warm and dust free). It's always far better sprayed than painted, if you can arrange this.

I wouldn't use an etch primer, because you don't desperately need it for aluminium (unlike brass) and, unless it's Hammerite-specific, there's a risk of reactions with the solvents in Hammerite.

Hammerite is always brittle and with poor adhesion though, so it won't last terribly well on soft aluminium that picks up dents.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Hammerite makes their own etch primer. They also make "Garage door paint" that may do the job come to think.

Is their any other paints that I can use please >

JIm

Reply to
the_constructor

Does it need to be very durable? How much does it get exposed to the weather? A quick and easy option might be a car spray paint.

Reply to
newshound

It's the base coat that matters. About 20 years ago the first coat was alocrom and the second etch primer, followed by epoxy primer but this then changed to anodised and then epoxy primer.

Dings and dents on an aircraft skin never broke the paint skin, unless it got scratched.

If you are using the paint finish as I expect you are, follow the instructions of the poster who said to abrade and paint immediately.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I will concur with that, whatever the paint. Aluminium oxidises very quickly and the aluminium oxide just does not allow the paint to stick. A power wire brush is very effective.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

All it is is an aluminium box measuring 7.5" x 4.5" x 2" housing a 12V 2Ah battery with a switch, socket and LED on the lift off panel so that I can plug my tyre inflator into it when I need to inflate the tyres on my mobility scooter. I just thought that painting it it would be better than the alluminium look and make it more personal. I might at a later date if one comes my way, put a small volt meter on it as well. It could have many uses than the one mentioned. Jim

Reply to
the_constructor

OK on that. I thought you might be using it for the 'hobby' and it had to go outside into the weather.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

acid etch primer spray if you can find one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Putting 'acid etch primer for aluminium' into google revels Halfords sell it in spray cans.

Dave

Reply to
Dave