Painting a window sill

It's an opinion based on experience.

That's a big if with a sill - you can only get at a small part of it.

The shed products to do this cost an arm and a leg.

Indeed. It's not a difficult job to change one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have been known to set blocks of wood IN the filler..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As is mine..

Wait till midsummer.

Yes. Which is why I generally gougue out the really punky stiff, and use a polyesetr glassing resin.

Can be if it goes into the wall deeply.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its not a particlarly hard compound. Porous car body filler is a bit of a pain..I suspect you may be thinking of body PUTTY, which is more a soft cellulose based air drying thing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Even this year?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm quite aware of the difference between 'glass fibre' filler and cellulose putty, thanks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's an essential preparatory step, IMO, and proprietary 2-part 'wood hardener' products are available for the purpose. Any decorators' merchant will have some.

As to fillers I've been impressed recently with Polycell's 'Wood Repair Pollyfilla' product[*]. It's a 2-part epoxy formulation, sandable but retains some flexibility when cured. Car body fillers tend to set too hard and may crack away from the wood on large repairs, IME.

[*]
expensive, but worth it).
Reply to
Andy Wade

Fibreglass resin is cheaper, and essentially the same thing

IME sometimes the surrounding wood dries and shrinks away from the filler after a few months. This is usually a one off event.

Reply to
stuart noble

It's a lot thicker than the stuff I tried, so would it actually soak into the wood?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

depends. It can be thinned as well..not sure what with tho.

It should if warmed a bit with a heat gun at least soak into the surface enough to fully stabilize it: provided the punky stuff is all removed first, then it wont be a bad solution at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IME, yes. It soaks into porous wood, partly because it cures more slowly than the resin used in body filler (overnight IIRC)

Reply to
stuart noble

Acetone I think, but styrene also thins it IIRC. Both available from GRP suppliers

Reply to
stuart noble

That depends on how much catalysts you add.

Put enough in, it sets in a minute or two and gets hot enough to catch fire

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Without an accelerator (cobalt?) a thin film of layup resin doesn't cure that fast because the heat is constantly being cooled by the air and the surface itself. There are all kinds of accelerators and retarders to overcome this e.g. when large items are being laminated outdoors in winter. Overloading the resin with a lesser catalyst would weaken the end result. Filler is a different matter because a) the resin itself is more reactive, and b) there is usually a greater depth. If you skim it on to a sill, it will will still be soft when the hole you filled has long since cured. It always does cure eventually though

Reply to
stuart noble

Re: Filling a window sill

Here's a photo I took of it half an hour ago:

the wood and stone could I use readymix patching cement?

Or would i be better with something more flexible like brown window sealer from a tube?

Or would car body filler with wooden blocks inside it be better, when I find a cheap source?

Or why not fill it with expanding foam then put a waterproof skin of car body filler and then paint on it, then i could fill every gap inside it whereas squeezing in bodyfiller could leave gaps..

There was a wooden beading at the top of the wood, but it seems to me an invitation for water to seep down the back of it so i am planning on not replacing it.

(the weather man says 4 out of 5 sunny days coming up...)

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)