Paint Stripping - Latest Technology / Magic Wand ???

I haven't done any paint stripping for about 30 years. I have the stringers if some stairs to strip... see photo...

Not the handrails/newels etc - they are all going, just the stringers..

I would imagine technology has improved in 30 years.

There are multiple layers of gloss going back to the 60's.

Whats the best way to tackle this ?

Thanks, Roy

Reply to
RzB

Nitromors.

It's relatively pernicious stuff and will remove all the layers of paint but may need more than one application. Generally on a relatively flat surface without twiddly bits like this, it should work well.

There is a chemical solvent in a gel, the gel being to stop it evaporating too quickly. It can be made much more effective by treating smallish areas (maybe 0.5m^2 at a time) and covering in cling film.

The carpet will need to be removed and the floor below protected very well with plastic sheet.

You need plenty of ventilation, so this is the right time of year to do the job. Also it will wreck cotton clothes if left in contact so old ones are needed. Disposable plastic gloves are important too. It will burn on the skin after a while if allowed to contact it. I always keep a bucket of water handy as well, just in case. Water stops its action immediately and is useful if you accidentally get any on your hands.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Nitromors and baco (tin foil) dampened down over the nitromors to keep it moist whilst it burns through the paint. As stated you could use cling film but tin foil is a better as it doesn't peel off as does cling film

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I'm sure that Andy and the 3rd Earl are right about Nitromors.

But I was concerned about the newels and handrails. Are you replacing them with something different? If not, you staircase will be in breach of building regs. [Actually, the LHS looks as if it may be, already!]

Reply to
Roger Mills

Nitromors will go straight through cling film, or any plastic. I think Andy was referring to the water based surfactant type of stripper. Never used it but I guess it's the same thing I've seen the council use on graffiti

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I would have thought dismantling it and sending it to a stripper would be the quickest way in the long run. Doesn't look like it would be too difficult

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The RHS looks as if it would pass a 100mm sphere, so is non compliant anyway.

Is the glass on the LHS safety glass?

Reply to
<me9

No it's fine with cling film and not the toy version either......

Reply to
Andy Hall

Existing house...... Building regulations not retroactive..... ???

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hmmm - No magic wand then...

BTW - Floor and carpet have already gone...

Thanks for the advice. I think Nitromors was arount 30 years ago. Is this and improved version or the same stuff?

Thanks for your help, Roy

Reply to
RzB

Yes - the handrails are to be replaced - you are correct - they are not compliant. The LH side is not compliant either.. as you can see it's sort of open plan with no rail etc. The gap between the stringer and the glass is also more than 100mm.

When I'm done the RH side will be compliant. I'm not intending to do anything with the LH side. I could add another set of spindles and a hand rail but that would look awful.

Not sure about the glass - they are big double glazed units.

We have been in the house 18 years and three boisterous boys have grown up in it, survived and flown the nest.....

Do I need to notify BC if fitting new hand rails/spindles?

Thanks, Roy

Reply to
RzB

There are a few variants for different purposes, but broadly the recipe is the same.

Reply to
Andy Hall