Paint stripping

Hi All

Have not done any paint stripping for a while now

Looked at the cost of nitromors it has become stupidly expensive

Cheaper chemical alternaives that actually work? (In the old days only nitromors did the business)

Thinking of a hot air gun instead

Comment recommendations gratefully received

Regards

Reply to
TMC

In message , TMC writes

V-e-r-y s-l-o-w-!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In my 'old days' a blow torch, primus type was the only thing that really did the business. I believe a hot air gun is actually much easier, safer and effective. Careful what you inhale.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

I have found that a hot air gun is only satisfactory indoors, out doors the slightest breeze seems to render them infective. I prefer a gas one operated off a large re-fillable bottle.

Reply to
Moonraker

Have got a hot air gun as it will be for indoor use only

Anyone have experience of the B & Q own brand paint stripper at £30 for 5 litres (the nitromors being £33 for 2 litres!!!)

Reply to
TMC

In article , TMC writes

C1900 woodwork here mainly with thick brittle paint on[1]. I use the hot air gun method with a lot of ventilation, hand and breathing protection and then clean off the residue using wire wool and paint stripper. It's a while since I bought stripper but on a pro recommendation I used Nitromors Craftsmans mix (yellow tin) which does not have the goop of regular stuff (it's a very slightly thickened liquid) and was about

30quid a gallon. Reports here suggest that formulations have changed but I see that Craftsmans appears to be still available but at 40quid a gallon although I know that that source will haggle and a few sources are down to 35.

Now that I've used the thin stuff I wont go back to stuff with goop so wouldn't be inclined to use the B&Q stuff. I did try before and it would prob be ok for just removing post gun residue but don't know about using it for anything more.

If you have to leave stripper on for a while to penetrate a few layers then apply pvc cling film (marked as suitable for all foods) over the top to reduce evaporation of volatiles.

[1] Probably some lead based in there among the layers which is ok as long as the gun is used to soften only and it doesn't get to the smoking/charring stage. Proper mask and all the windows open essential.
Reply to
fred

The chaep stripper is lime in wallpaper paste. Lime attacks the paste if you put too much lime in.

NT

Reply to
NT

It's essential the hot air gun is *hot*. Wire wool is excellent for getting into the detail too.

If you want to go the chemical route, it might be worth talking to

Their main market is removing paint finishes from walls, but they can certainly get it off wood too.

Reply to
Martin Bonner