Paint stripping

Hi,

I'm trying to strip several layers of gloss paint of some Victorian door architraves.

I have tried 'Nitromors' with some success, but only after 2 applications and although it did do a fairly good good job I was not overly impressed!

Has any one had any experiences with -

just I have been recommended this company by a couple of people.

Any comments would be very appreciated

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim S

The message from "Jim S" contains these words:

Try a hot air gun. They work really well, and fast, and modern ones don't make scorch marks.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough..

If there are several layers of paint it may take two applications.

One important point is to maintain the area in a wet condition. Nitromors is basically Methylene Dichloride in a gel base to try to stop it evaporating too quickly and to make it easier to apply. The solvent does evaporate, so the makers recommend applying more gel. Another arrangement which works well is to cover the area with clingfilm.

I always wear eye protection when using this stuff because it can cause blindness if it gets in the eyes. It will also burn skin. I always keep a large bucket of clean cold water close by as an additional precaution.

A good alternative is Peel Away 1.

've used this with good results. There is a second version (7) for use on certain surfaces.

This stuff doesn't contain Methylene Chloride but does contain Calcium Hydroxide, Magnesium Hydroxide and Sodium Hydroxide so again won't do eyes and skin any good.

I don't know, but this looks to be an alkali based product so has the same handling issues.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall