Paint Stripper residue

There's a box in my parents porch that is used for parcels, or items that are too large to go through the letterbox.

Well, the lid needed a new coat of varnish, so stripped the old stuff off using Nitromoors, gave it a sanding, washed over the surface with a sponge to clean off any residue, then gave it a few coats of Ronseal woodstain (that stuff you apply like paint and it dries like varnish)

All seemed well for about a fortnight or so, then bubbles/blisters started to appear in the varnish/stain, as if there was still some stripper in the woodwork.

So, used a scraper and sandpaper to get rid of the bubbles, gave it another wash with water and left overnight to dry, then repainted with more woodstain.

Again, everything fine for about a fortnight, now its started blistering again from underneath.

This is getting to be a pain, I didn't think stripper would stay active for this long. Any suggestions as to how to prevent this happening again?

Reply to
Simon T

There is usually instructions on the tin as to how to get rid of the stripper. White spirit last time I used any.

However you problem may be that the wood is damp, not the stripper.

Reply to
harryagain

Having examined the contents a long time ago, I always thought it was just an aggessive organic solvent mixed with another to make it gel. I assume the stuff justs evaporates, leaving dry paint flakes. Of course, I could always be hugely mistaken, but I thought I'd just throw this in there.

Reply to
Max Quad

I always scrub down this kind of work with white spirit using a plastic scourer.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson