Paint spraying woodwork?

I'm looking to paint a load of woodwork (doors, skirting, architrave etc) but was thinking of using my compressor and sprayer to do the job. In the American shows like This Old House they seem to use this method quite a lot.

I last tried 10 years ago with a thinned down white gloss but it still kept clogging and went back to a brush. I'm now going to use a white satin paint so hopefully it will be easier to spray.

Anyone got any experience and can provide some tips? Or should I just forget it and stick to a brush.

Cheers

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Seems a lot of work involved in spraying them,are you doing them in situ? The most tedious part of spraying is cleaning the gun and hose when using gloss/satin and I'd never attempt it again. You really need the biggest nozzle you have? on the gun if you find the nozzle you where originally using clogs up. Spray guns are really for very thinned down paints and you cant thin gloss/satin too much.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

All but the doors will be in situ. I'll experiment a little and see how it goes.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com saying something like:

I've had good results using an HVLP system.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Yup, next door neighbour but one is a car body finisher and hates painting with a brush. Hence any time he wants doors painting he takes the out to his workshop and sprays them. The trick he uses is to *not* thin the paint, but simply heat it up so that it becomes less viscous, and spray it hot.

Reply to
John Rumm

Strange, I would have thought heating would make it worse.

Anyway, cheers guys, I'll have a go and see what happens. I'll try my compressor system for now, if that doesn't work, see if I can hire a HVLP system for a fair price.

I'll report back with the results. Too hot to work this week though, that's my excuse anyway :-)

Reply to
daddyfreddy