Paint Pads

Does anyone use these? Just wondering what the results are like?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've used them in the past with good results. Easier to clean up than a paint roller.

Reply to
brenda

Can be very quick, too.

Also, used to have (although not seen one since) one with rollers on one edge, which allowed you to quickly paint into a corner, leaving the other wall/ceiling untouched.

Highly recommended.

(can't remember if afterwards I went over with a paint-wetted roller just to even out the distribution... got a nagging feeling that I did, however, this was a quick activity)

Reply to
Mike Dodd

My wife is the house painter, she won't let me do it because she's much, much better at it than I am. She uses a selection of paint pads and does an excellent job with them.

I think much depends on the quality of the pads.

OTOH, I do a much better job of varnishing that she does, and I prefer to use foam brushes for the final coat since these end up leaving a finish as good as a sprayed finish but without the hassle involved in spraying.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I used them for the first time a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised. I found that I got a better finish than with a roller, using less paint overall. I'll be using them again.

Incidentally, I found the cheap Wilko own brand ones to be better than the more expensive (mohair?) ones.

-- Rob

Reply to
Rob Hamadi

Harder work than rollers, on new plaster especialy, but a smoother finish. Also less splatter than rollers.

Reply to
FKruger

Sometimes, these days. I used to use them all the time when just decorating a single room at home, but having graduated to doing whole houses at a time I use a roller almost exclusively now.

Pros (versus a roller):

- Better finish - much smoother

- Can get closer to corners or edges than with a roller

- Use less paint (I think)

- less messy

Cons

- Significantly slower!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes, I use them exclusively. They give a much better finish than rolling or brushing, and are quicker to use. I treat them as disposable, so I buy enough for the job and throw away at the end of each session.

Reply to
Grunff

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

My wife uses them with very good results and when I use them it looks more like a poor attempt at "modern art" all blotchy and uneven. There again I'm great with a roller and she isn't, so it seems to be a case of "horses for courses". Try them and see how you get on.

Reply to
Bill

A couple of people have mentioned pads are quicker - I just can't see that at all. Speed of use is my only (but nevertheless overriding) reason for preferring rollers.

What size pads and rollers are we talking about?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Do the responses refer to using with gloss/eggshell finish paint on woodwork, or just to emulsion paint on walls?

Reply to
Anode

The results are marvelous and superior to any technique except possibly spraying water based on new plaster.

They do require a different technique which takes all of two minutes to acquire. I prefer the tray with the roller ball in for paint loading.

Reply to
EricP

EricP wrote: I prefer the tray with the roller ball in for paint

Not seen these - where can you get them?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Haven't looked recently as I have a shed full of them, so I can't give a decent answer. Sorry.

I just find they load much better than the dip and scrape on the edge ones.

Reply to
EricP

I think the make is "Bison" but I could be wrong. Comes in a complete pack with trays, pads etc. It's not a roller ball really, just a fat ridged roller at one end of the tray that transfers paint to the pad.

All the ones I've bought recently have been Italian, "Cinghiale" which means "wild boar" and I suspect it's the Italian version of Bison since they look identical.

Examples here:

'll be a fiver (+VAT) please, where do I send the invoice?

Reply to
Steve Firth

I have used them very successfully for gloss painting doors. Definitely not worth cleaning afterwards though.

Reply to
<me9

Much quicker than a brush for gloss painting doors. I wouldn't try a roller on a door.

Reply to
<me9

True - I was assuming use for emulsioning ceilings and walls.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I'm talking about 9" pads v. 12" rollers. I know you can get a lot more paint onto the wall with a roller, but I've found the overall painting process (getting the paint on then spreading it into an even coat) to be quicker with pads.

This is of course only on smooth(ish) surfaces - if you're painting a textured surface, you're far better off with a HVLP sprayer.

Reply to
Grunff

So how are these used? I bought a set of Harris ones complete with a tray for a painting job onto sealed plasterboard. I've never used them before.

Is the action to dab with them, wipe, dab and wipe or is there Deeper Magic?

Anything special for the edges or other tips of note?

thx

Andy

Reply to
Andy Hall