Paint pad tips

Rollers spray it everywhere. Brushes leave bristle marks. I'm going to try paint pads (for emulsion onto plaster). Anybody got any tips please?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Ren

Yes, find pads where the handle grip is aligned exactly behind the centre of the pad. The more common ones have the grip to one side on a stem which comes from the centre of the pad, which means you are having to apply a twisting force with your wrist to keep the pad pressure square and even, and that starts getting painful after a while.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Forget about pads, buy a good quality sheepskin roller sleeve (20mm pile) and an appropriate roller cage (£12-15 for the sleeve, £5-8 for the roller cage). A 9" one is about right. Get some mini-rollers for behind rads., reveals, etc. Pads have their own problems. Cheap rollers are not worth having, because they spatter paint and give a poor finish. This might be your problem. N.B. make sure that you clean your sleeve well, repeatedly wash it, give it a zing along something to spin the water out, repeat 'till clean, pay special attention to the roller ends.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I love pads, they are clean and give a good finish. However I've stopped using them, either you throw them away after use, expensive, or spend so long cleaning them that the advantages have gone.

Reply to
Broadback

Try and improve your technique with the roller. Not so hard, and not so fast. I use a mini roller on all but the largest areas because you can use it one handed and dip it straight into the tin

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Keep dipping it in the paint, because when they go even the slightest bit dry they start to lift the paint back off the thing you've painted. Apart from that, they're great.

Reply to
BigWallop

I agree. Pads are Grreat for all the reasons the original poster stated. If you have a big Victorian 3 storey house like mine, you will need a telescopic pole. If there is on with a hinged fitting that would be even better. I can work so fast that I have two handles to save climbing up and down a ladder. My wife fills on pad while I use the other. Fast economical and no mess. Be prepared to chuck them away if you can't be bothered cleaning them. Having said that, the same is true of rollers.

Reply to
Jim Scott

My vote is also with pads, they are far quicker cleaner and cheaper to use then a roller. Poundland do two pads for.umm...a pound ! Wrap in clingfilm to use again next day or throw away after use.

-
Reply to
Mark

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Plenty of food for thought.

Steve

Reply to
Ren