Paint help for kitchen.

Hi, my kitchen walls have started to peel. Not sure if its the old house owners have used normal paint or not sealed the plaster before painting.

My questions are :-

  1. I have areas that i have used a stripper blade on to remove the paint and areas that it seems are far harder to remove. Whats the best and easiest way of removing this old paint. will a heat gun remove it? paint stripper chemicals?

  1. When its all removed i will have left , bare plaster. What sort of paint do i need to use to sort this out?

I've been told by a local DIY shop to use contract matt paint and use 2 coats. and no need for kitchen paint.

I've read about putting PVA mixed on the first few coats so starting to get confused on how i should proceed.

I'm happy for white or magnolia colour just don't want to do the job and find it pealing in a years time again.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Regards

Reply to
warezmonster

plaster needn't be sealed

Imagine painting new paint on top of stripper soaked plaster. No. Scrape, sand or skim if necessary, but normally there's no need to remove anything that's stuck.

Emulsion. Satin is more cleanable than matt, and decent stuff more cleanable than cheapskate.

Satin's better

PVAing the plaster is a fashion without need. Paint onto bare dry plaster results in the liquid in the paint being sucked into the plaster, leaving it short of glue, hence the peeling. Solutions: a) 50/50 diluted pisscoat first b) paint the plaster with water, wait 5 minutes then paint as normal. c) dilute PVA onto plaster first. Too much and you get slicks paint won't stick to. I prefer B, it's quicker & stronger. C I'd avoid.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

so b) is quicker and stronger than a)?

Reply to
ARW

I've always used a), never had the paint fall off.

Reply to
Capitol

Yes. The watercoat is extremely fast to do, nothing like a coat of paint wh ere you need to take some care. So you get a full strength coat in a few mi nutes more than it takes to do the pisscoat. With a pisscoat much of the di luted glue soaks into the plaster, weakening the paint. With B it doesn't.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes. The watercoat is extremely fast to do, nothing like a coat of paint where you need to take some care. So you get a full strength coat in a few minutes more than it takes to do the pisscoat. With a pisscoat much of the diluted glue soaks into the plaster, weakening the paint. With B it doesn't.

Well that's every professional painter and decorator I have ever seen at work doing it wrong then.

Reply to
ARW

It's not wrong to use a pisscoat, just quicker to use water.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Is that the sound of a six letter word I can hear stomping into view?

Begins with a W.

Reply to
ARW

No, it's the sound of you being thick and childish again.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Wanker.

Reply to